For African American cafe-moms.... does anyone know any good hair products for natural hair.... because i recently had a perm done at a beauty salon... and my hair damaged and i dont think i want to use perms again or return to that salon.

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Anything with Tea Tree Oil....I can't remember the exact name of the product (and don't feel like getting up to look lol) but it comes in a green bottle...with like a Joseph Tree or something on there...but really almost anything with Tea Tree Oil....I have dreadlocks and I use that (and Mango Twist & Lock) religiously
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• And I know I'm probably steppingn on some toes here but perms are TERRIBLE for you....anything that can strip the texture out of your hair honestly is too strong to be putting on your head....jmo =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Perms are not great for you but that doesnt mean you cant have it relaxed without completely damaging it. You can try the "Smooth Down" line in Redken and the "Anti-Snap" leave in conditioner. or Moroccainoil....good shit. lol And im not African American but i am a cosmetologist. There is no such thing as "white girl" hair, "black girl" hair, "Asian" hair etc.... its either, straight, wavy, curly, or kinky curly. Im white, but i do damn good with kinky curly hair. I had a lady say to me one time "YOUR doing MY kind of hair??" I said, "Yes ma'am, and kinky curly hair is my favorite to do!" She kept tryin to tell me how to do her hair, but i just ignored her and did my thing. After she apologized and gave me a 20 dollar tip and ended with, "You know what your doing". Aaaanyway,
    :-) Please trust me. You can get a relaxer without it ruining your hair. But i would start by going to a different salon!
    Hope i helped hun! GL
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• May I suggest to you Cream of Nature shampoo and leave-in conditioner. I use these products and they do wonders for my hair.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• try Carol's Daughter's products, it's a great product for African American women wanting to go natural. Also if you do decide to purchase any sort of relaxer maybe you should  try textures like SILK ELEMENTS.  it's a great product.

obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 11:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• When I went natural a little over a year ago, the stylist recommended Kinky Curly products. They make your natural hair look nice and moisturized. You don't even have to apply it everyday. Not that you would want to because it can run a little expensive. About $20 for a 8oz jar of the curling custard. You can find it at health and natural stores, even like Whole Foods. Welcome to the world of natural hair. Since I've done it, I have no regrets. And I'm sure you won't either.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I also use Cream of Nature in my everyday washing/conditioning.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i would use the olive oil shampoo and conditioner and they have a leave in conditioner.. ive had clients use it exp after getting any relaxer or chemical process :) and it smells good too!
    NavyWife27210

Answer by NavyWife27210 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'm currently transitioning from relaxed to natural. for the past few months I've been using Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream (stuff is so good my man started using it too, it's also a little pricey), Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in conditioner (can be found at target, but I get mine from amazon.com) and 100% Aloe Vera gel for styling. I wash/condition with Hair One, from Sally's (yes, the knock of version of Wen, lol) I had a lot of heat damage also...I've been using these products staying away from heat and just taking care of my hair for a couple of months now and there is a noticeable difference in both my natural and relaxed hair. Do your research before you try a new product...you tube is awesome :-)
    hope that helps
    ~april
    sunangel925

Answer by sunangel925 at 7:15 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I love say Yes to Carrots and I think they have a technical hair mask to soak it on there :)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 5:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011