Do you feel that people need to learn proper grammar?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 11:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Just for Fun

• U mn ppl tht tok liek dis?

Drives me up the wall. There is nothing wrong with using proper grammar (and spelling) when trying to communicate ideas and opinions. Especially in a setting like CafeMom where all you have to interact with are words.

And, if my kids ever try to turn in an English paper with textese or other horrible slang they will rewrite the paper correctly as well as write a second one with a topic about proper grammar or something along those lines. Wow, talk about a run on sentence there......I'm not perfect :)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:14 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Proper Grammar? Hmmm.... Now that's a thought! Some of these post are so hard to read that I just say to hell with it and move on. Can we put spelling beside grammar as well?
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• LOL. It would definitely make some questions easier to understand.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I don't really care. I personally would hate to not be able to use proper grammar. I honestly just feel sorry for some people. I would think it would be embarrassing.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Absolutely! Like all the mom's who keep typing "your" when they mean "you're". Come on now...it isn't that hard to figure out!
    heat631

Answer by heat631 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Love it!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Me fail English. That's unpossible!

http://youtu.be/8iSD9lPVY6Q
    Anonymous

• It drives me crazy when people cant use proper grammar.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think you should try to use proper grammar but everyone makes mistakes. I am a horrible speller but I do try to look up the word if I am unsure before I post on here or my facebook!!!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think that everyone should learn appropriate grammar and should learn basic spelling rules. I also think that there is a time and place for it. An essay for school, a job application, a review... an internet forum is just not one of the places I feel it is 'necessary' to be on your P's and Q's. AS long as the post can be read and understood it should be enough. You don't know where the post is coming from. It could be a person who is under educated and bashing I am sure doesn't make them want to run right out na take a class. It could be an individual just learning English and using a public forum as an opportunity to practice. It could be someone with a baby in their lap hitting keys. It could be some in a hurry. You can't just assume every ill written post is a moron who can't spell due to a severe lack of intelligence or motivation. Now 'text speak' is a whole different issue.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2011