HELP~ Not safe in the car?!?!

ok so my 22 month old has figured how to push the chest restraint belt on his car seat down to his crotch and pull his arms out! no matter how snug it is on his shoulders he is still getting his arms out then leaning foward and over and all in all just not safe!! I have looked everywhere for something that can prevent him from doing this but cant seem to find anything! any suggestions?

kcangel3303

Asked by kcangel3303 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The one thing I advocate harsher punishment for...maybe speak rather fiercely and scare him into keeping it on. Maybe even a little spank.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The time my DD did this, we pulled the car over and told her very firmly we were not going anywhere till she put it back in the right spot.

She asked why a few dozen times, but after that it was not a problem.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• hmm that age is tough. Keep a water bottle in the front seat and spray him every time he does it.
    lmao jk
    I would suggest take a little trip around town with someone else driving so you can be in the back seat with him. Ever time he pushes it down, tell him NO! DANGEROUS! and fix it. EVERY time. After a while he will realize it's not so fun anymore.
    If all else fails, get a new seat if you can afford it. I'm not really sure wihch, maybe try some out in the store first.
    mrspnut82

Answer by mrspnut82 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• ive tried the harsher tones and even smacked his hand and pulled over he is still doing it and he seems to like to do it when im on the freeway where there is no safe place to pull over lol
    kcangel3303

Comment by kcangel3303 (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• lol we actually went out and bought a new one lastnight and it is a little stiffer to pull down and he still managed to pull it down. I live in a tiny po dunk town and to get anywhere its all freeway driving and they are doing mass construction so there is no shoulder so im most of the time either myself or whoever is riding passenger is having to turn around the sead and fix it cuz he wont do it when i tell him or anyone else tells him to put his arms right or fix his seat belt. He is too young to comprehend me saying dangerous althought he does understand what owie means and i have told him that too and it still doesnt work!!
    kcangel3303

Comment by kcangel3303 (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I miss the old car seats that used to have that latchdown that would come over the head and had the cushion lol there was no pulling ur arms out of those!
    kcangel3303

Comment by kcangel3303 (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Can your passenger sit back there with him when there is someone else with you?
    mom37of2

Answer by mom37of2 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My daughter did this and I can NOT, for the life of me, remember what we did to get her to stop. I think we just made sure the harness was really tight against her so she had no room to move it down.

She was right around 3 when she graduated out of a 5-point harness on height and weight. She's 4 now so all I really remember is the booster seat.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• whoa, a 3 year old doesn't graduate out of a 5-point harness. Just sayin'.

Keeop some cheap duct tape and tape the strap together. He can't move it and he stays safe. He should still be rearfacing anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Duct tape is not really a great idea. They are made to come apart easily so the child can quickly be removed in case of an accident.
    (But I agree a 3yo should still be 5pt harnessed not in a booster.)

Ya he would not really understand the meaning of dangerous at that age but if you say it the same way as if he were to touch the stove "NO HOT!", then maybe it would scare him? IDK I would just do it super tight and have someone correct him and fix it every time he tries to move it.
    They don't make those shield car seats anymore cause they are not safe. Kids were smashing their heads on the shields I think and people would assume the shield was going to protect the kid, when the straps are what does the work.
    mrspnut82

Answer by mrspnut82 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2011