Is it Racist?

My favorite segment of Tosh.0...but seriously.

I am not a fan of affermitave action, but this isn't why. What was she thinking?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/28/sally-kern-affirmative-action_n_854936.html

Kitkat61277

Asked by Kitkat61277 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Wow
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Her actual quote, "We have a high percentage of blacks in prison, and that’s tragic, but are they in prison just because they are black or because they don’t want to study as hard in school? I’ve taught school, and I saw a lot of people of color who didn’t study hard because they said the government would take care of them.”

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• “We have a high percentage of blacks in prison, [TRUE]and that’s tragic [TRUE], but are they in prison just because they are black or because they don’t want to study as hard in school? Interesting debatable question I’ve taught school, and I saw a lot of people of color who didn’t study hard because they said the government would take care of them.”[her opinion, based on HER experiences]

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Now, do I agree with her opinion based on MY experiences? I think for some, yes.. In my opinion, her views do NOT speak for the majority.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• He grly..you left MUCH OUT

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Kern voted for the amendment, arguing that minorities earn less because they don't work as hard. "We have a high percentage of blacks in prison, and that's tragic," Kern said, "but are they in prison just because they are black or because they don't want to study as hard in school?

"I've taught school," she added, "and I saw a lot of people of color who didn't study hard because they said the government would take care of them."

Kern also noted, as the Tulsa Worldreports, that women don't earn as much money as men because "they tend to spend more time at home with their families."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The proposed amendment passed by a vote of 59-14 Wednesday, after having passed the state Senate. It will get on the ballot in November of 2012.

Kern has a long history of bringing controversy to the Oklahoma House. She has introduced a bill to ban Sharia law in the state, and another that would allow teachers to question evolution. Kern also claimedthat "gays are infiltrating city councils" and gay people are "the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam, which I think is a big threat."

sweet-a-kins

• Sally Kern is an asshole.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:14 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If she is making her statement based on any researched facts, then no. I teach at a school that is 98% A-M, 1% Hispanic, and 1% all others. I see kids working. I also see them dropping out to go on PA. There are many teen pregnancies, and no support from home for a majority of our students. Less than 5% of the students at my school have expressed interest in education beyond college. Oh, they all want to play in the NBA and NFL, but they don't want to go to school. If she is using that type of research, then no, it isn't racist. It is facing a fact that needs to be addressed. How do you fix an issue if you tip-toe around the issue because someone doesn't want to hear about it?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2011