Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Does anybody know about child support?

My ex was paying childsupport until he quit his job last year $403.00 a month, in March I got his tax return and still owe's. We went to court (per his request) to make a change on what he pays since he hasn't "found" a job and because our daughter spends 50% 50% time with us, they want me to pay him now!. I know for a fact he doesn't buy anything for her or take her anywhere when she is there. He lives with his sister and doesn't pay her anything, plus he works with his brother under the table. What should i do? :(

Answer Question

Asked by Rose001 at 12:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Oh hell no. Id be changing the custody and making a phonecall turning his ass in for working under the table!

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • If it's 50/50 should ANYbody be paying support?

    I agree with emmy...

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • How? i have no proof! it's just my word against his. We haven't gone to a judge about custody since we never got martried. He told them he pays only $15.00 for his cell phone and believe me he has the lastest one. I can't afford a lawer and will be gettign the documents in the mail in June to go to court

    Comment by Rose001 (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • Also, they said i need to pay him now because he is unemployed. I cried all the way home thinking that it it so unfair that I have to support him for being lazy!

    Comment by Rose001 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • If you can prove that you provide more clothing, food, ect. Maybe, and ic your paying rent of house payment, and utilities, gas to and from work. Make a budget to she the judge & show where every dollar goes. Then the judge can ask him, what monthly bills he has and ehsg he does to contribute to the care of the child.
    That just just plain wrong!!! Your working and providing for your child. Is the timespent between both homes really 50/50, cuz if you actually have her more hours per month - keep track and that'll show in your favor, as well..
    Good luck

    Answer by SassySue123 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • Hire a good attorney.

    Answer by Proverbs_31 at 1:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • I agree with SashaSue123!!! In some states they have income-based attorneys.But if you can not get anyone to take your case documentation is the key. You could get a PI (someone to spy and take pictures) I beleive you could use that in court.


    Answer by prdVirgobby at 7:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • I have no idea what you should do.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 7:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • good luck sweety, id just start documenting everything, sometimes when you cant afford an attorney one is supposed to be appointed for you, but i understand your concerns.Id call the local attorney office ask them for some advice, and go from there, and no its not fair that you should have to pay him while hes working under the table. i hope things work out for my prayers.

    Answer by luckygirl2000 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • change custody from joint to you with custody and him with visitation, then refile for child support. Its really your only option.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.