Had a rough day so to someone that means I need to get a job

Some people have mentioned to others in the family that they think I need to go back to work. I've been stressed lately with the two kids (3 and 1) and I hardly have any help. My mother is deceased so the holidays are emotional for me. I got through Easter but now Mother's Day is coming up. I LOVE being home with my kids and I'm so lucky that we are in a position that I can. I am not the most organized person and I get overwhelmed with the amount of housework there is to do (when 3 people are at home most of the day they create quite a mess!), not to mention trying to manage the needs of two little ones and myself. I try my best though and I try not to focus on the things I gave up to do what I really want to do. It just frustrates me that because I have bad days that I'm told to get a job. I mean, are working parents told after a bad day to quit their job and stay home with their kids? It doesn't make sense to me that the reverse logic is acceptable to whoever these people are that think I need to go back to work. The important thing is that my husband & I are OK with the decision but I just wish people would mind their business. Either decision has its difficulties, so this isn't meant to criticize any side. Just that I don't know how to handle people that say and think stupid things.

splendidbaby

Asked by splendidbaby at 12:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• goodGood post! And you're absolutely right....of course I can be a little prejudiced since I did the same, stayed at home with my kids, and, of course, you're my much-loved daugter-in-law! In any scenario, when you make a decision, do what's right for you and your family and stick with it. Try to ignore "idiot remarks" as best you can. You know my situation, and yet people tell me maybe you need to volunteer somewhere." Do I seem bored?! I've kept myself busy getting caught up with life and spending time with you and the kids. I'm content and no, I'm not "cured." So if and when we're ready to take on more, WE will make our own decisions, thank you very much.

rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Honey, you have every right and reason to get burnt out sometimes. I'm a SAHM and love it, but you know what? There are days where it just completely drains me. If you feel you're doing the right thing for you and your kids, tell anyone who has a problem with it just that and forget what they have to say. If they persist, tell them to mind their own business. I'm sorry you're going through that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• And one more thing...anyone who can't understand why you'd get overwhelmed sometimes has obviously never been a SAHM, so they have no room to talk. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'm a SAHM with a nearly 3 year old and a 12 month old and I'm also not very organized so I know that exact feeling that you're describing. Just ignore those people who say rude things. Half of them probably don't even have kids. Lol! It can get tiring being a SAHM plus doing all the jobs of being a housewife. It's like having a gazillion different jobs every day instead of just one. It's extremely rewarding and worth it but can be so draining!
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 1:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• In one ear and out the other, dont talk about your issues with people who will isult you, and look in those little faces, stay home, and be happy in youself..... you are all that atters, and your emotions are more than justifiable! Much love mama!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You know, it's really no different when people complain about their job, or have a rough day. People will say to quit the job and find a new one. I love my job, but yesterday it seemed like everything I touched just went to hell. It really was a rough day yesterday for me.
    Just ignore them.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 4:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011