Math majors....PLEASE

This is killing me. I'm SURE I know the answer, but since people with degrees that are much higher than mine seem to think the answer is (1) .... please solve this equation and post. It is killing me that a person with a bachelor's or master's degree cannot do this equation.

6÷2(1+2)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok, I just answered this on your other question, but my first thought was 1. What I can't remember from algebra class, is if the numbers in parentheses are MULTIPLIED by the first numbers, or if the first number is DIVIDED by the numbers in parentheses.....

3x3 or 3 divided by 3.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You do all equations in parenthesis first. So, you would do 1+2. Then if there's a number next to it, aka multiplier, you multiply the numbers together, so 3x2. THEN you would do the division.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Order of operations. You do parenthesis first, so it's 6/2(3), then you work from left to right 6/2=3 and 3(3)=9
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• 9
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• 6÷2(1+2) Use the order of operations: parenthesis first; 6/2(3); then division 3(3)=9
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Really? this is middle school algebra. NP, carpy and Jesse are right. sorry but just a High School Degree here and even I knew this.
    daps

Answer by daps at 11:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• " . . . just a High School Degree here and even I knew this. "

I wonder how many high schoolers of today know this (how to do the arithmetic).
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 11:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Please- paranthesis
    Excuse- exponents
    My -multiplication
    Dear- division
    Aunt- addition
    Sue- subtraction

Solve the problem in that order.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I personally know of three
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Solve the problem in that order.

I think that trick is what's messing people up. Multiplication and Division are actually equivalent functions, just as are subtraction and addition. You don't do multiplication before division, you do them equally. What matters is you do mult/div before you do add/sub.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2011