Why would any woman choose formula over breastmilk?

excluding woman with HIV/AIDS, or crack heads. I a, not bashing, I amjust curious to as why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I, too wonder why someone would CHOOSE formula over breast milk. I mean CHOOSE it, not including medical reasons, but, I suppose it's none of my business. Doesn't mean I'm still not curious. I KNOW that many women are given incorrect information, and end up choosing formula because of various reasons when they really didn't have to, and I hate that that happens so often.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• How about...STOP WORRYING about other people's parenting choices. or their business.
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 2:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Doesn't produce enough or stops producing all together? Happened to me :(
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 2:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You say you're not bashing but it sure does sound like you're judging by the tone in the question........anyways.........

I had a very limited supply with my kids and just couldn't the same with my mother, grandmother, aunts, cousins, ect. It's just something that the women in my family have. We all tried and weren't successful. Plus it's not like formula is poison! All our kids have grown up just fine, learned their ABC's and numbers same as every other kid.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• With my son, I had a large lump in one of my breasts and it affected my milk supply, so I was unable to breastfeed. Before I became pregnant with my daughter I had the lump removed and now I can breastfeed my daughter no problem. It is not always a personal choice, but when it is a personal choice there is no need to judge. Sometimes it just doesn't fit someones lifestyle, or they cannot get through the initial pain/complications in the first few weeks. Breast is best, but formula was made for people who either couldn't or didn't want to breastfeed.
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 2:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Why would another woman care what a mother opts to do for her own child for her own reasons?

I don't get why women are so darn concerned with everyone else's breasts and the way they get used or not used. Feed your kid. Stop worrying about what others opt to do and why.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• my son was a preemie and wouldn't latch, never produce any with my daughter.
    i_am_tish

Answer by i_am_tish at 4:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My mother had no medical reason not to BF me or any of my sisters, she just chose to do formula. Why? I have no clue, she would say so our dad could be a part of feeding. Hello, breast pump? But maybe she didn't know about them, I really don't know. My sister also chose to give forumla instead of BF, why? Probably b/c my mom did. She should try, b/c she can't afford it as it is. But I think I've talked her into a least giving BF a try the next time around. BF kind of goes in and out of style I guess, I had my DS at 20 yo and I used to think it was perverted until someone convinced me to try it. I do realize that is a dumb thing to think, but it is what it is. Me personally, I really don't care what other people do, but we do BF and have had to supplement and I just think formula smells gross, I can only imagine what it must taste like, but DD takes it just as well as breast milk.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My mom chose formula because at the time I was born there was a stigma to breastfeeding - women that had the money fed their babies formula, only "poor" women breastfed. Times have changed, I breastfed my first 4 for a year and my 5th for 6 months until my supply dropped and she was losing weight.

Answer by missanc at 11:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Um....I don't know....PERSONAL CHOICE!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011