Am I making enough breastmilk? adult content

My daughter is 3 months old and exclusively breastfed. The last few days after feeding her 20 minutes each side she is still fussy. She has had regular diapers and her last dr appt they said her weight gain is right on track. My breasts aren't hard like they used to be when I first started breastfeeding, is this normal? My nipples are also partially inverted so sometimes it is difficult for her to latch on. It doesn't feel like there is anything in there, but I know she is getting at least something I just can't tell if she is getting enough. What can I do to increase my supply? Thanks.

mamabaier

Asked by mamabaier at 3:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe try and drink more water or something, keep hydrated. Maybe go see if there might be a vitamin that may increase production. Or maybe get a can oif formula and give it to her ands see iof she takes it. She won't eat unless she is still hungery, or at least that is what my OB said.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• They do soften after a while, because your supply stabilizes. So long as she's gaining weight on track, it sounds like she's fine. It might be another growth spurt, though, so your supply will take a few days to catch up. I had one flat (almost inverted) nipple, so I know what you mean about the difficult latch. Have you tried a Latch Assist? They really help, or if you have a breast pump, you can pump for a few seconds to draw your nipple out to make latching easier. If you really want to try to increase supply, make sure you're eating well (not over eating, just eating good things) and drinking a lot of water. I would also suggest a lactation consultant. Mother's Milk Tea can help, but a LC can tell you more. I know of about 5 ways, but they'll be able to give you proper instructions. WIC may also be able to help you with that if you call your local office.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• As long as she's not loosing weight and she's having soaked diapers then you are fine. Talk to a lactation consultant for her latch issues. I'm sure thats not comfortable for the both of you. Make sure your still taking prenatal vitamins and drink lots of water/eat healthy.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You're supposed to make about 4 oz from each one, if I remember correctly. try pumping once and measuring.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with WIC on Monday and I will talk to them and get a lactation consultant referral from them. I probably do need to drink more water, that would probably help a lot. I have tried giving her formula but she won't take a bottle, which also makes pumping difficult.
    mamabaier

Comment by mamabaier (original poster) at 3:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• There is no amount you are supposed to make, please don't think that. The best advice I've ever received on this site on this issue is from gdiamante, look her up and send her a message. She's the best! My DD who is now 3 1/2 months did the same thing, she would jerk her head back and cry like she wasn't getting enough. But I came to find out I have overactive letdown and she would freak out b/c it quit coming out so fast after about a minute. I also went to a lactation consultant and it was really a waste of time, except weighing her before and after she nursed to see just how much she was getting. Nurse nurse nurse, that is the BEST way to increase supply, unless there is some other medical reason and other than the one you mentioned. I take mother's milk tea and fenugreek, the tea seems to be the best for increasing MY supply. I do drink water, but overhydrating is bad to. I have always been told drink to thirst.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Our DD has always had good BM and wet diapers, and great weight gain, even when I thought she wasn't getting enough :) I bet you're doing just fine :) Good luck to you momma!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If diapers and weight are good, and she's meeting milestones, then your supply is fine. It's possible she's going through a growth spurt. Just nurse on demand, and you'll be fine. Your breasts do not become hard anymore because your supply has regulated, which is what you want :) Keep up the good work, sounds like everything is right on track!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Also, just FYI, pumping is NOT an accurate gauge of supply. Average pump output is .5 oz to 2 oz per session both breasts combined. Some women get less, or none, and some women get more. BUT, baby is ALWAYS better at getting milk then a pump, so baby always gets more then you pump.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• How your breasts feel ad how much you can pump are not good indicators of supply. If baby has enough wet diapers and is gaining weight, then you have enough. I'm glad she's not taking the formula, because giving her formula WILL make your supply go down.
    If she is still hungry after nursing on both sides, then nurse again!
    Everything you describe is 100% normal, it sounds like you are doing great!
    3 months is a common time for a big growth spurt. She may need to nurse a lot more right now. Just keep nursing on demand and you'll do just fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011