i am 8 months and i am a single mom to be and i need advice about how to take care of this baby

new_mom_2008849

Asked by new_mom_2008849 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Are you going to breastfeed?? I think that is a good start into learning how to take care of your baby. You will have such a closer bond, and you will get to know what your baby needs. Mothering is not easy, but it comes natural. It doesn't come fast, but as your baby grows you will know how to take care of it. If your questioning the baby basics, see if they offer classes at the hospital where your delivering. The classes are normally free, and they give you good information on the basic needs of the baby.. I am a first time mother and you will be really surprised at what you already know. Have confidence. You will be a great mother!! good luck w/ the delivary and remain confident it will all come to you.
    EliseMommy

Answer by EliseMommy at 5:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• email me here anytime and i will any and all questions that i can for you. i highly recommend gettin "what to expect when you are expecting" book and read it first to back. i read it 3 times and then i got "what to expect the first year".. i knew most of everything in it but it does have some pretty good things in it! also i was a preschool teacher so one day i had a thought... i know everything about 1-5 years but not birth through 1 year. so i got online and research research researched.... i know everything that anyone tells me know and i love the site www.howkidsdevelop.com... i printed that off and made my learning time plans from there. ck it out!
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 5:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• ohh and i forgot.... the books are 10.88 at walmart so if you ebay for one keep that in mind. also they have them at the library if you want to check them out and just read them cover to cover. i read "what to expect when you are wxpecting" cover to cover in one day!
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 5:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I wasn't a single mom when I had my first son but my husband worked and I had no family around to help me. It was a little scary at first but pretty basic. Being alone with baby is not as hard as it seems. I actually thought it was better than having someone around watching my every move. You know, there are always those people who think they know more because they have children. We have motherly instincts and they work pretty well. Each child is different and what works for one doesn't work for another...I have 3 now and they were not the same at all...
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I have been told your instincts will AMAZE you when you have your baby. Remember that books are AWESOME resources, but they are NOT bibles... just keep an open mind and do what you feel is best. when it comes to classes HELL YES GIRL... they help sooooo much... I couldn't afford the childbirth classes at my hospital so all I did was ask for a scholarship and it was free for us! all i had to say was that we were broke! those will give you an awesome start... also... don't know what state you live in but I am in Colorado and WIC (Women, infant and children) offers nutritional help for lower income and single women....that is a cool resource... you can usually find that resource information near government assistance info in your local phone book...
    NewMama80210

Answer by NewMama80210 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• mm... as for caring for the baby, there are probably programs out there for single mother's to be and mom's with children alreay, research the net and phone book for your area! OH one more thing, i meet with a nurse every week and the name of the program is "partnership for healthy families" (when i lived in another county though it was called "nurse family partnership") and it's free as well, funded by the government (i don't know if it's required but i am on medicaid so i don't know if you HAVE to be on medicaid)
    NewMama80210

Answer by NewMama80210 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• but ANYWAY she meets me at my house and she has helped me with everything you can imagine! Bills, relationship crap, family dynamics, pregnancy, after birth, quitting smoking, physical and mental issues.... etc. she's like a mom/nurse/best friend... and also is TRUELY a nurse... she can give you SO many resources for SO many different things... sorry i am talking a lot.. look it up and i know it's in colorado but you may be able to call someone there and ask about what's available in your area!
    NewMama80210

• don't let anyone... even a dr. tell you what to do with out doing your own research first.
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 12:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2008