When did you go off work?

I've got toxemia again this pregnancy and this time I have a herniated disk. I'm having a really hard time at work lately from the headaches and swelling, but mostly it is the pain. I work nights as an online tutor for my college, so that is easy to keep up and I'm not on any restrictions there, but during the day I rotate between schools in my district teaching special ed/supplemental classes. The Dr. took me down to 3 days a week because I stressed to him that I couldn't afford to go off work completely even though he wants me to start my leave now. I've still got another month to go, and I could afford a month or two off, but not a month or two off AND the kind of leave I want to take with my baby...especially knowing I wont be going back full time after the baby is born. I know I'm not alone in this frustration...when did you all begin your leave?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I went off a month early.. Mind you, I am Canadian, so I get a year of paid leave.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I started my leave two weeks before my due day. Then DS was two weeks late! I spent a whole month with no baby, it was miserable. But I was also feeling pretty bad by then and I couldn't even dress I got so big and I wasn't sleeping at all so I guess it was good that I wasn't working then. In the end I didn't end up going back to work at all. I'll have to find a new job in the new year though...that kinda sucks.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I took off a week before the baby arrived, but he was 4 or 6 weeks early, depending on whether you believe my calendar or the doctors.

Answer by Bmat at 10:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• With my first baby, I didn't want to go on leave until the baby came, but was let go at 7 1/2 months. With this pregnancy, I want a little bit more time with just my son...so I am taking off 4 weeks before the due date. I am also taking the summer off, just to make sure my son is fine when the new baby comes. And to get him all ready for preschool when I go back to work in September.
    mommabean06

Answer by mommabean06 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have been off since the third month of pregnancy due to complications. I have been on bed rest the whole time. Thank God for short term disability or we would not have survived. Good Luck with everything.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I went on leave with my first the day I had her, with my second the week before my due date and I was glad because I went into labor 5 days after. You should really take the time off if you need it. Don't stress your body out. You should take atleast a month to month and a half off before even now. Hopefully your work will be understandable about your situation. I hope everything goes well.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Lol...the funny thing is I forgot I have winter break coming up! Both of my jobs are in education, so I will be having time off from both jobs and my own classes starting in a couple weeks over the holidays. I will likely deliver at the tail end of the break, so I only have to make it through the next couple weeks and I'm good! HAHAHA! I was all worked up about it last night when I made this post. My pregnant brain forgets things all the time!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I went on disability at 32 weeks, because I was in so much physical pain, I was crying at work. My back was just killing me (I spend my days drawing blood, so I am bent over most of the time, and running around a hospital), and I just couldn't stand it. I'm glad I did.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2008