Whatever happened to school plays?

My son is in fourth grade, at the same school I went to as a child and they have yet to have any plays, productions, anything~! Are any of your kids doing plays or is it my son's school that is the only one not doing them ?

hibicent

Asked by hibicent at 9:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yea where I live at, and in my days they have school plays and dances. I'm not sure if it has to do with money. I think its probably more of the "offending" of certain plays, and other stuff. Because I went to a really really bad school one year, and they still put on plays and stuff. But yea Youth Centers in your area, or like acting classes for your child age sometimes have plays as a recital type thing. Also in my area, the junior college has a theatre hear where they do plays throughout the year, and they have like 3 a year for kids. I think next week there starting the play with "Tiny Tim" i can't remember the name, but its with kids. Try and see if they have something like that in your neighborhood.
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 3:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• That's your tax dollars hard at work! Things like that have been cut to save money.
    Anonymous

• They don't do lot of the plays/performances here anymore because there's always at least one person who gets offended by them. They can't be related to or near the time of Holidays, can't have anything Disney in them because of course Disney is evil (rolls eyes), cut all that stuff out and that's most of the stuff I remember doing in elementary.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My kids are all having a Christmas Musical - but then they go to Catholic school....
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son goes to public school and every year they have a big Christmas show, any teacher that wants to dedicate thier time to planning, choreographing and teaching participates (which is usually 80-90%) does so.
    The past couple of years our gift to the students was a big number the teachers and any employees who wanted to participate ( I work at his school) could do so. It was the most physically grueling experience of my 30's lol, water on the knee, pulled groin! weekend and evening rehearsals,it was worth it!My sons class did a great well choreographed dance to "Polar Express". If you can see my avatar, that is me last year dressed as a "preppy elf".I'm sorry your school doesn't do that anymore, I am surprised our school does such a great job, we are not an upper class neighborhood.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Wow Gigi, where do you live? I am moving! LOL, seriously, I understand the cutbacks, but when I was a kid, we did stuff for Independence Day, for Thanksgiving, or even themed plays for whatever our class was studying at the time, Civil War etc,.. Sad to see things go south like this.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Money, an of course Political correctness!!
    ccl

Answer by ccl at 11:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• We homeschool but I know that there are places throughout MY community that do plays and musicals. You'll have to check into it in your area and sign them up! Even our local junior college has things for the younger crowd to be involed in.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You know I was wondering the same thing. My son didnt have any thing in 3rd grade and so far in the 4th grade he hasnt either.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Where we live at my kids school does plays. They go to public school. Usually each grade up to fourth grade does a play each year.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 8:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2008