How would you handle this type of situation?

What would you do if your 13 yo daughter watched Prom Night 8 x's, NR but all I've seen is the trailer and can't tell how bad it is. Does anyone know? THEN told you she had watched it over at several sleepovers at a friends over and over. She knew we wouldn't have approved that's why she kept it from us. Would you never let her sleep over at that girl's house or talk to her parents? It's a trust issue between us and our daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• We can't always control what our children are exposed to, especially when they're out of our sight. It's unfortunate that the viewing choice wasn't revealed to all of you. On the other hand, it's a tradition of sleepovers, if I recall, to sneak something you aren't allowed otherwise. It's a little late now but maybe ask the hostess' parents what the viewing plans are in future.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think it is a part of life and you should be happy that she told you. There are a lot of kids that would hide that from their parents for fear of getting in trouble. Although she watched something you didn't like I would still be proud of her for telling me. You could talk to her about how next time, if something like this happens maybe she can call you. I don't think you can call the parents now and that might turn out bad for your DD.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I agree with the first 2 posters. And will add: She is already a teen and it was just a horror movie. Relax. Let it go and just be happy she told you. It won't kill her after all, considering her age.

My son and I were allowed to watch all of that from birth. Maybe it's time to allow a few things here and there.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Cornflakegirl3 she didn't tell us till after the 8th time watching it. It's not like she told us RIGHT AWAY. No PRAISE should be given for that do you think??!! And the rest of you have you even seen it??? Don't judge till you have!!! It's bloody and gruesome. Is that what you let your kids watch???
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I don't like my kids watching those shows either,in fact I don't allow them in my home period. Theirs some movie coming out that my daughter has her eyes on and it looks freaking satanic as all get out. I don't like way I feel when I watch those shows,and the atmospere in the home changes drastically. I will stick to light hearted stuff, theirs so much nastiness in this world that I feel if we can keep it out of our homes its so much better for our families,well mine anyways.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The hostess's parents may not have known that the girls watched that. I remember going to sleepovers where we watched "R" movies on cable with the sound turned down low. (this was before VCRs were commonplace). For the record, though, I wouldn't have been happy that my DD had watched Prom 8 either.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Um...at 13, yes, my son watched those movies.

He was watching Predator, Lake Placid, Halloween and Friday The 13th at 3. So...yeah. If a kid knows it's pretend why not let them watch? I watched horror movies growing up. And just because it's "gory and gross" doesn't make it the damn devil. Jeeze..

The Final Destination is bloody and gory...we love it, We watched "Go To Hell"..great movie and creepy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'd be telling the parents that I'd turn them in to CPS for letting them watch it. That's disgusting. They should have that stuff behind a locked door
    Anonymous

• I do let my kids watch movies like that too, they've known from a young age its pretend. They've watched the Shinning, Poltergiest, Predator, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street,Scary movie....I think Prom Night was tame compared to others.
    My younger son prefers not watch these movies, and my older son and I love them.
    It's a matter of personal preference though. I guess if I was that upset I'd express that and why I feel that way.
    My youngest son went to a movie with friends and a parent. Well the parent picked the movie (I thought they were going to see RIO) and she took my 13 yr old to see BLACK SWAN...that did bother me because I wanted to see it first to judge the content. My son hated it thank god, and told me he was never going to a movie again where the mom picked it because she didn't know how to pick good movies. So I'd say talk about it, if you don't approve she needs to understand that.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• what is prom night? sorry havent heard of it....
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2011