Do you or will you teach your son to cook and clean the house?

Gaily.Daily

Asked by Gaily.Daily at 7:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I believe all people should be able to take care of themselves. Not only will I teach my boys to cook and clean, but I will be teaching my girls how to change a tire, change the oil in their cars, and anything else to maintain their own cars. I do not want my children to have to depend on the opposite sex to survive. I do not want them to be with someone cause they take care of them I want them to be with someone cause they want to be.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 7:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Our eldest has already left home and he was cooking for the family once a week for a year before he moved out. A family of 8. Cleaning: not so much, but he can cook and look after babies!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Of course.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• yes, I have always taught my boys to clean up after themselves and now that they are getting older they know how to cook. I believe that we should teach all of our children how to cook and clean.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If they eat and live there.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Yes - why wouldn't I?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I've tried to get my son to make his own breakfast on the weekend. Most of the time he does, tho he may argue about it at first. He is rarely home when I make dinner, but occasionally, we work on making dinner together. As for cleaning, it's difficult to get him to help out around the house. His job is throwing out the garbage, which he does when he is around. He went to overnight camp for quite a few years, so he does know something about cleaning, but I've been negligent in teaching him other things he should know. It's important because I believe he should help more and whether he lives on his own or gets married, he should be able to clean and cook. Time to get to work!
    ronal93

Answer by ronal93 at 7:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Yes, I want my kids to be able to take care of themselves and not have to rely on someone else for everything.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I don't have boys. But my dd will know how to change her oil and her tire as well as jumpstart her car before she gets her license.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Yes as I want my boys to be able to take care of themselves and if they ever get married I want them to be an equal partner and helpmate in the relationship (and not sit on their lazy butts and let their spouse do all of the household chores... like some guys I know)
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2011