How can I get my turtle cage to quit stinking?

I clean the tank twice a day with water and pinesol(which I rinse out because it's a chemical cleaner) and it never smells any better. It's very rank and I'm not sure what is safe enough to use . I was thinking baking soda but I'm not sure if that will bother the turtles.

dnmc1985

Asked by dnmc1985 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Pets

• ok 1st off how big is your tank ? what kinds of and size if your turtles when i here sticking tank and turtles is suggests to me your tanks not set up right for they kind of turtle you have or is not big enough . other problems maybe your turtles have a prob with to much bacteria on there skin

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Caring for turtles is not as simple as some people think. It involves a lot more than just putting a turtle in a bowl or 10-gallon tank. If set up properly turtles can be very easy to care for. I will not go into great detail here as there are plenty of really good care sheets elsewhere on the web. You will find some of them below.
    Properly set-up aquatic tank
    In general most water turtles need these things:
    A large enough tank so that they are not crowded (obviously this depends on the species you are caring for).
    UVB lighting in the form of a ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 or similar Fluorescent tube
    A basking light can be any kind of light bulb that gives off heat. (I use regular old light bulbs you put in your lamps around the house from 40-100 watts usually.) The wattage will depend on the size of your tank and the ambient room temperature.
    Proper filtration - depends on size of tank and siz
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Proper filtration - depends on size of tank and size of species being kept. I have had good luck with good cannister filters such as the Magnum 350 and the Fluval 404. You want to get a filter that treats at least 3x the amount of water you are actually filtering. Filtration gph are based on fish needs and don't take into account the larger amounts of waste that turtles produce. For example, if you want to filter 20 gallons of water you want a filter that will do at least 60 gph.
    # Some species will require a water heater. These are inexpensively purchased at a pet shop or online.
    # A proper diet. While the pelleted foods are very good these days (I use Reptomin and Mazuri myself) it is always good to supplement with real food items such as fish, krill, bloodworms, greens etc. depending on the species.
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• feral kitten - they are arkansas box turtles and they only sleep in the tank @ night. During the day they play outside. I'm aware my tank isn't big enough. They go in to sleep and thay have a water bowl and a food bowl that's it. How can I clean their skin? what will make it not stink?
    dnmc1985

Comment by dnmc1985 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• dose your tank have a filter ?
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i don't know much about the breed so i am looking it up but from what i'm finding there a very water dependent breed

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 10:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Asian Box Turtle Caging
    A 20-gallon long tank or large plastic tub is sufficient for one or two Asian box turtles. Sweaterboxes are good for raising smaller ambos. These turtles like water, so creating a setup that is half land and half water is a good idea. Turtles do fairly well in 2 to 4 inches of water, but I have not had problems with turtles kept in 6 to 8 inches of water. I have even kept them outside in a pond as deep as 2 feet.
    Water quality is important with keeping any turtle. Always keep your water clean, clear and cool. The ideal water temperature should range from 75 to 88 degrees, with 80 degrees as a good average. Filtered water helps prevent illness. Oxygen flow is key. Water movement allows for more oxygen, but make sure water does not hit a turtle's basking area.
    Some Asian box turtles will stay in the water nearly all the time and emerge only to bask. Thus it is important to provide a log, rock or embankme
    feralkitten

• Water. Change their water daily. Asian box turtles take in quite a bit of water for their size. They don’t sweat it out like we do, they use it to flush out their digestive system. They suck water in one end and empty their pipes out the other end. We don’t want them drinking “used water.” Replace it often.
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 10:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2011