Is this weird?

My 4 year old son has had one of those sounds of the womb bears since he was born(hes on second bear). I took the battery thing out of the back though. Anyway, he used to suck on the tag that is on the bears butt. He sucked and chewed on it untill there was barely anything left. So we cut the rest of it off, along with some fur. But now he is still obsessed with that area of the bear! He always hold his bear upside down and always has to carry it around with him. And he is always playing with the weird spot that is left there.And the whole area around that weird tuft of fur is completely gone! Dh keeps sayin that we should just take it away that hes too old to be carrying it around anyway. What do you think? Is this weird behavior? Is it time to take it away?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 8:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be weird, but then my daughter is weird, too!

We even did a tag-oplasty - I added stuffing to some well loved bears, mended seams, and sewed in a loop of grosgrain ribbon where the tag had been. She just sucked and chewed and rubbed that off over the course of another year or two. She is six. She still will carry the bear around like that when I'm not looking!

That bear is a "Bedtime Friend", who lives in her bedroom and doesn't get played with the rest of the time. But I'm not planning on taking it completely away, unless she outgrows it.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 12:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• This is no different that a child carrying around a blanket. It's not hurting him why get rid of it.

As for him playing with the tag, my DD had a tag blanket that had them on every side and she would suck on them. He plays with that area because he remembers it having a tag on it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Sounds like his bear is his comfort item (or lovey) and the tag area just happens to be his favorite part. My son just turned 5 last month and he still has a lovey-- it is his blanket (named "binky"). It is soooo worn, falling apart and quite stinky and dirty looking (needs a "bath" in the washer!!) he loves that thing! He has a favorite spot on it as well--- part of the silky binding has come unstitched and he likes to hold that part and rub it on/under his nose (and sniff it). Kids do eventually outgrow the loveys.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It's his comfort, I would leave it. But when it comes time for school, you will probably have a tough time. But you can also talk to him about "big boy" things and teach him "big boys" only use it at night. Anyhow, like the PP I see no harm in it now.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think you are reading too much into it, honestly. It could just as easily been a paw or ear, and I bet you wouldn't think twice about it.
    As for taking away his lovey... I really don't know. My 5yo never really got attatched to anything in particular and my 1yo has his thumb and blankies till so... I'm not sure what the "right age" would be. But here are plenty of kiddie books on the subject! Maybe you should take a trip to the library
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My son was obsessed with tags - he would suck on his fingers (not his thumb) and rub the tag on the base of his nose to go to sleep or calm down. He did it until he was almost 6...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2011