Daycare question

I have to pay to hold her spot on days she doesn't go but I get 2 weeks a year that I don't have to pay (vacation).

If my daycare closes early for the day (dentist appt) should I have to pay for the whole day?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Should you - NO
    Will you - YES, because that's the way things are done now.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You shouldn't have to, but it is what it is. We also had to pay 5 weeks to hold spot before DD started. Is it an in-home licensed daycare or public facility? If it's in home, you can probably negotiate.

yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It depends what's in her contract. If she has a ontract that states she gets paid for her time off and you signed it, then you agreed to that. I don't personally do that. When I close for my own needs, I don't charge.
    MamaJane

Answer by MamaJane at 9:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I just want to point out that you get 2 vacation weeks from paying daycare. Also, most likely at your job, you have paid leave time. Your daycare workers deserve the same.

Now closing for a dentist appointment seems small and very inconvenient for the parents. But that is why I like my DCP, there is always someone around to cover for someone else, so they only close for holidays, and I do pay on those days as well.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i dont think u should have to, i worked at a daycare and thats how they did things too but i dont think its fair
    martinsmom2008

Answer by martinsmom2008 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think it is fair. If I need a half day off from my job, I get PAID for it. This is her job - her source of INCOME, and needing to take a half a personal day for it should not mean she gets docked half a day's pay from each family. As long as she gave ample notice (and it is probably stated in her contract) I think it is fine. You said you get 2 weeks vacation right? Can you use .5 of a vacation day if you wanted to?
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You are extremely lucky that you don't have to pay for the vacation weeks! All of the daycares I worked at, you had to pay. Because as Candi pointed out, the daycare workers deserve paid leave, and a lot of times, that's not possible if the patrons aren't paying for days that the daycare is closed.

Now, I need a little clarification. Is the daycare closing down early because of a dentist appointment? Or are you picking your little one up early because you or your daughter has a dentist appointment? It seems a bit odd that the whole daycare would shut down because of a dentist appointment, and in that case, I would say no, you shouldn't have to pay the whole day. (though again, most daycares don't do have day rates, so if you're only having to pay half a day, you're very lucky.) Now if it's the other way around, and you're picking her up early, well, then, yes, I think you should still have to pay for the whole day.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Should and standard practice may vary but all the daycares around here you pay buy the month and if the school is closed or you don't bring your child too bad. I pay the same rate for winter break ( they take a week off) holidays or if my kid is sick. If I don't like it they will get another parent who does.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011