What is a good age a child should get a cell phone?

i personally think a kid shouldnt get a cell phone till there like 11 or 12 but thats just me,  what do u guys think?

martinsmom2008

Asked by martinsmom2008 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• When they can pay for it themselves or when the parent feels safer with their child having one.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• my kid wont like me but when she can pay for it herslef my bank isnt overflowing with extra money for a cell phone.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 9:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• For my kids it will be 15 for a very basic phone for emergencies only and when they have a job they can pay the difference for a full plan but i still have full access until they graduate. A phone imo can be a good thing or a bad thing and I want to make sure we steer clear of the bad things.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I got my daughter one after she turned 13. By that age she was doing things with friends, staying ater school and had other activities without me. We ran into a few problems where she was left waiting for u when communictions failed.
    MamaJane

Answer by MamaJane at 9:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It depends on the childs maturity my niece had a phone since she was 7 and has done good with it, we got her the phone because they transferred her to another school that was distant from the house so we got her a prepaid phone just for emergencies and to call when she was out of school so someone would be there to pick her up
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• 16, and they will have to have a part time job to help pay for it. It won't have any texting on it, or internet access. No pics will be able to be sent back and forth. It will be for emergencies only.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Each parent should first teach their child good manners, respect for others, responsibility by caring for human beings, animals and
    inanimate objects. Also to be wise in spending money.
    When a parent is satisfied that the child has fulfilled most if not all these requirements then that child should be given the opportunity
    to save some pocket money, buy the simplest/cheapest phone just for making emergency calls; and also use a pre paid plan which
    he/she will have to pay out of his pocket money. Occasionally, you can as a good gesture purchase some credit for a prudent child.
    honeyb7

Answer by honeyb7 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I got my kid a prepaid ine when she was like 11, she is 14 now and has a really nice one but she takes care of it.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Mine won't have a phone until she's driving age. There will be rules, and if they are broken, then she'll pay the consequences (or they, whichever, LOL, oldest is a girl). It'll be for emergencies ONLY.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• my kids will get cell phone when they start high school at 11ish but thats for putting in there bag in case they will be late phone and if they use them in class they will get taken away also there phones will not be in there rooms at night and i will be checking them upto there 14,15 i have my reasons for that i have to protect them from a nuts adult

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2011