Spin off of abortion/rape question

If you and your dh are actively trying to have a baby and you are raped and find out you are pregnant what would you do? Do you carry the baby to term or have an abortion because it could possibly be your rapist'?

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 9:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Abort

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• That is what genetic testing is for. Which can happen as early as 12 weeks (though, not recommended).

Is it so hard to look at this from a reasonable, rational perspective?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I don't believe in abortion with two exceptions.....RAPE and 199% sure of no quality of life for child........I would abort.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• really butterfly, you would abort? Why not give that baby up for adoption?

I would keep the baby until term. You can always do a dna test after birth to find out if it's your husbands or not.
    You could always (if you could go through with it) give the baby up for adoption.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No one every really knows what they will do until it has happened. I can say yes or no but unless it happens I will never really know what I would do.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• DH and I have had this discussion and we would keep it. It's not my fault nor the fault of the child. On the other hand we would do everything within our power to make sure the rapist was criminally punished to the fullest extent of the law.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Would you consult your husband on his opinion or would it not matter how he felt?
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• IMO rape and medical indications for mother or baby, including mental health of the mother are the only valid reasons for a abortion. For me personally the the inability to carry the baby deliver and keep my life would be the only reason, my thought when it comes to my body is that that child didn't ask to be conceived so I would carry to term either way, I may adopt the baby out if that was the better option for my metal well being but I personally would not abort even if it was a result rape.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I agree with butterflyblue ............abort. But, it honestly isn't that simple, it depends on the severity of violence of the rape, the emotional damage it has done to both myself and my husband, what it would do to my children, how I could handle the next 10 months, how my husband could handle it, what if it wasn't his would he take it as his, would it help heal the pain of being raped or would I think about the rape every time I looked at the child....so it isn't as simple as Abort or Keep...it is more in depth and it is a personal decision and should never be forced on a person to do one or the other because of the views of others.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'd first see how far along I was. If conception occured around the time I was actually raped, I'd probably abort. I'd never want to carry a product of rape inside of me. I'd want A PRODUCT OF MY HUSBAND only. I just wouldn't take the chance. If there was a way to determine paternity in early pregnancy I WOULD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011