Got divorce papers yesterday and know they were coming. No court date yet so what is next?

Got the papers yesterday and so far no court date. Just the paperwork and things like right now temporry hold on assets and there is none, something about the house, then temporary shared custody of the girls for none. What is next? Court? Thanks.

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 9:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• I have seen many people get divorced. My mother actually used a service to get her divorce settled. It's called prepaid legal and she got an awesome discount for it! I know money is tight, but you should get thinking about what it is that you really want out of this and what type of legal service that you want. If you are interested I would love to talk to you about getting a free consultation and see what you can do from here.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Sorry mom, I am not even married yet. Kind of think that I may just stay un-married...huggs it will be ok
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You will have a court hearing next. make sure you find a lawyer and get that paperwork to them.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Especially with children involved you need a lawyer. Since you were served with papers I assume he has a lawyer so you need one to look after your interests. Think about child support, spousal support if you are not working, insurance for the children, college paid for the children, vacation and school schedules, what happens if someone relocates, and the house. Many places have probono (free) attorneys through legal aid who can help you. Make sure you understand everything in those papers and how it will effect you.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 9:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If you don't have one, get an attorney. They will get you in front of a mediator who will put temporary orders in place (custody arrangements, child support, living arrangements - etc.). Once that is done, you go before the judge quickly and get a court date for pre-trial. If you can agree on everything, it makes the process smoother with the system (not saying emotionally, as it can be a rollercoaster), but with the divorce process itself.

Usually, the pre-trial date is 5-6 months after mediation. If you don't agree on what's in your agreement papers, you'll have to go to trial at a later date that the judge will set at pre-trial. Thank goodness we didn't get to that. He didn't want the divorce but knew there was no reconciliation happening so he eventually accepted it and we worked together to agree on everything and pre-trial was quick and done.

After you're done in court, there is a 90 day window of finality...
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• ...where neither party can marry for the next 90 days and then you're divorce is completely FINAL.

I hope this helps. If you have property and accounts, etc., get to an attorney and bring all your financial statements. Best wishes, mama.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011