What does it look like when top front teeth are coming in?

I tried to google it and couldn't find any info that was helpful so I am turning to you ladies for help :)

My son is 1 and just learning to walk. Last night, my hubby noticed a darker spot on his gums in front, and we thought it might be a tooth coming in, This morning the spot is purple ish colored and I am worried it may be a bruise and not a tooth. He is bumping into stuff all the time and doesn't even cry anymore, so I was wondering if he hurt himself and I just didn't know it. Thanks!!

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is obviously possible.

I would like for you to look up "Teething Blisters". I had no clue what they were until my middle child had one. They are often red, purple or dark pink in color. My son's looked like an abscess. They are almost always harmless, and unless there is a sign of infection they go away on their own, frozen peas are helpful :) (those little mesh bag teethers are awesome too!!)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• When a tooth comes in the gums around the area might swell a little, but will remain the same color. Then as the tooth comes through it'll be just a white, sharp, bump as it protrudes through the skin. The spot you're talking about could be a bruise, but it could also be something else. Talk with his pediatrician about it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:14 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• yes hes getting his teeth unless he hit his mouth when their teeth are coming in they bubble kinda swell get red then as they actually start puncturing the gum it causes bruising, get him some teething relief cold carrots, teething rings, tablets or gel and it'll make it more comfortable for him
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Oh, I'll add that I thought it was an infection and ran to the doctor's office. It apparently isn't *common*, since I hadn't ever seen one, or heard of it, but then... not many people in ameaica know what an intact penis looks like either. That is, to say, it's not that uncommon, apparently.
    If it appears to be causing him pain, or has a foul odor, or is oozing then it is an infection. Otherwise, it shouldn't be an issue.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I dont recall it looking like a bruise. It looked more like a blister, swollen a bit, and white underneath. Maybe he just bumped his mouth on something, so I would not worry, especially if it seems to not bother him.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• When teeth come in you'll see the imprint of the teeth in the gums , gums will still be pink but you'll see the white teeth in the gum sometimes you'll see tooth pushing through the gums and a little bit of tooth will be hanging out the bottom of the gum if you rub your fingers across it you will feel tooth gums will be hard also at the bottom because of the teeth
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thanks moms! I was really freaking out! It looks painful but he doesn't seem to mind. His Dr. has the day off so I tried calling another office, but they couldn't see him until next week. He may have hit his mouth, but not where I have seen him. He gets a little rough in his crib though, so he might have done it in there. It looks kind of like the pics of teething blisters online. I'd never heard of those, so thank you obby for pointing that out! We'll have to see how it looks over the next few days. It hasn't burst or anything so I'll keep my eyes on it.
    alphamom26

Comment by alphamom26 (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2011