What age should you start having kids do chores?

I have a 7 and a 5 year old (soon to be 6 and 8) and I feel they are old enough to pick up after themselves maybe make their beds and help with a few house hold chores do you think that is reasonable?

sunshyne86

Asked by sunshyne86 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At 20 months my son knows where his dirty clothes go and where his toys go when its time to clean up. At 7 & 5 there is no reason they can't make a bed or help set or clear the table after dinner. They are definitely old enough to pick up after themselves!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• As soon as they could pick up a toy and throw it into the toy box. They have *always* picked up their own messes. They make their beds (even my 3 year old), fold and put away laundry (all of them, including my 3 year old), load the dishwasher after meals (they are expected to clear their place) and clean the table, sweep floors, clean windows, keep yard debris picked up as they see it, straighten up around the house- if something is out of place and they see it, they are expected to fix it as they walk through, that way we do not accumulate a mess.

It is a learning process, but once the habits are formed it makes keeping a clean home much, much easier.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'll add that by the time I was 8 I was doing all of the household laundry- and I don't mean sorting, folding, etc. I mean actually washing, drying, folding, separating into everyone's separate basket. Only exception was that I had to have an adult pour the bleach for white washes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• By 2 years old they should be helping. I think the earlier you start the easier it is to make it a habit. Also, their attitude is a lot better about it if it's always expected. Having set daily chores is definitely appropriate for a 7 and 5 year old. If you need help getting started, try the Love & Logic book called, "Didn't I Tell You to Take Out the Trash?" GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My 2 year old put his clothes in the dirty clothes and cleans up his mess at the table (unless i stop him because he can make a bigger mess) my 8 yr old on the other hand ignores everything he is supposed to do, he will drop something, look at it, and walk away! It is a constant thing making him pick up after himself he is getting in trouble more for the things he should be doing everyday. he feels incapable of making his bed though lol he has to make sure his towel is up after shower and clean toothpaste out of the sink.....just things like that
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 10:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I have tried a "chore list" and it was hard to keep him doing it. I would forget too lol I am just working on getting him used to doing the things he should without reminder AND not complaining and whining when i ask him to do something for me, once he is good at that we may start a chore chart with some bigger things on there and maybe a dollar a day allowance
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 10:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• As soon as they start walking, my son is 1 yo and he cleans after himself whatever toys he pulls out he puts them back, he takes the trash out which is so cute he loves doing it because I make it fun I don't want him to see it as work and not wanna do it so I make it fun for him
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• as soon as my kids could walk and take directinos they have been doing "chores". They are now 6, 5 and 3 (my 1 month old is not doing them yet, lol). My kids put their laundry away, clean their rooms (sometimes unsuccessfully! lol), vacuum, they love it for some reason. My 3yo needs more help and supervision when doing this but is capable fo doing stuff. My son used to take the recycling out because he wanted to, he dosen't do it anymore though:( They help bring groceries in, brush the animals, clear and set the table. They will even put the dishes in the dishwasher, I usually have to fix it, but they are helping and I will not turn that down!
    I bet you kids do "chores" and maybe you don't realize it. Kids have a desire to help so unless you do absolutely everything for them I bet they do help out around the house. My son asked me once, while pouting, lol why he dosen't get to clean the bathrooms. Oh boy!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Yes, thats plenty old enough to be doing somethings.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My 7 yr old daughter wants to help do laundry and dishes and my son likes to help his dad with yard work and taking out the trash. But I always have trouble getting them to clean their room and pick up after themselves. I grew up in a house where my mom did all the house work and I feel like it made me unprepared. I just want my kids to learn that there are things they should do. I have younger brothers the youngest is 9 and they do NOTHING they leave pop cans and dishes everywhere and my mom just picks it up. She says its just easier for her to do it then to fight with them. I don't want that to be me. My 23 month old even picks up her toys... I was just thinking it was probably resonable to ask my older two to do regular chores every day.
    sunshyne86

Comment by sunshyne86 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2011