I have my first child care facility apt. What should I ask?

I have a list of things already, but I wanted to make sure I have everything. So what do or would you ask? I have other places to look at to so do I say something like "Thank you for letting me look at your place, I have a couple more places to look at so I'll call you"?

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• As an in - home provider myself.... here are a few things I expect families to ask me, or things I make sure to tell them! :)

*hours open
    *number of kids in care
    *any up coming days off/vacations/holidays/ that I'll be closed
    *who is dropping off and picking up
    *A tour of the home/facility
    *where kids will be sleeping/eating
    *what to bring (formula/bm/diapers/blankets/etc)
    *a contract

that's a basic list! :) Good luck, I hope you find the right place for your family~
    ljbaudoin

Answer by ljbaudoin at 10:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• You've probably already got these on your list but: ask about accreditations, staff turnover rates, what their food/snack policies are, if they do criminal record checks on staff, visitation policies, ratio of staff to children. Your parting words listed above are great! You don't need to commit to anything at the time. I wish you the best of luck. Go with your gut feelings!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think everyone already has the bases covered but things to look for: Are the kids on your visit happy and are they currently engaged in activity? Do things look neat and organized? Observe the entrances and exits, is the building secure? How quickly do they talk money vs care? Other questions:

Is there an educational curriculum or are you a play based daycare?
    Do they allow an introductorty day to let the child adjust to the surroundings
    How do they handle discipline, encourage good behavior.
    If the child care center does not provide lunch ask what would happen if one day you forgot to bring it
    How do they handle potty training-take a tour of the restrooms even if you are still on diapers
    cleaning sanitation schedule.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thanks ladies! The consultation we great today. I wish day care was a little cheaper :(
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2011