Is this teen middle ground when it comes to a cell?

My BFF DD is 11 and her g-ma got her a cell phone nad nis paying for it. My BFF has been telling her DD NO for the last year. G-ma went behind her back. Well , now that she has it there was rules set. Her DD has to ask permission to use it. My friends keeps it in her purse and when DD wants it she can have it but she has to ask first she doesn't carry it around. She also has to ask before handing out the number. I think this is a pretty good compromise and am now considering getting one for my DS who is 9. We have no house phone and he is weird about giving his friend my cell number. What do you think? Safe middle ground? His but still mine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sounds like it will work. Your paying the bill so it's pretty much up to you the rules of his use.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• IMO no... There's no reason for any child to have a cell phone. We have 3 boys, 14, 8, and 7 yrs old, and they don't have any need for one. It will give them a sense of entitlement, and we refuse to raise children like that.
    It's up to you, I wouldn't. I think it was wrong of the Grandmother to undermine your friend and get the 11 yr old a cell phone. If my MIL would have done that with any of our children, I would have kindly given it back, and told her that we're the parents, and our children live by our rules.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My kids have had a cell since they were around 10 or 11. I don't see it as a big deal so long as they follow the rules that you set. I live in a big town (San Antonio) and my friend gave her sons cells so they could call & check in when they got home from school.

Your house, your kid, your rules.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 10:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• well, I would have never considered it except he never talks to his friend or invites anyone over or give out our number because it is my cell phone and he says it weird. He has not asked for a phone except once for his birthday also year when we told him no when he was much older he could.

This MIL pays their car 1/2 payment so they could get a 'better' car and pays their internet because they can't afford it and she feels every one should have the internet and buys them groceries when she feels the fridge isn't full enough... Not a MIL to mess with to much. She is again in my BFF ass but in the end I would kill to deal with her crap to get the perks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My kids (13 & 10) do not and will not have cell phones until they can pay for them on their own, and they MUST have good grades to have the priviledge of using them.
    We keep a land line, and it is very rare that they are not with an adult.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• both of my dd's have had cell phone since they where about 10 or so and neither have abused the privlilage....for me its a safetly thing....the only one rule i have is you answer the phone when i call PERIOD.....and thats work out well for all of us...and i dont have 2 teenagers tying up my phone line talk to thier friends.....i think i comes down to how much you trust your child to follow your rules.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I dunno- I mean my daughter jsut got one about 3-4 months ago and she's 17. We finally decided it was time for her becasue she had a lot of stuff goin on after school and it made things a bit easier for her to call us. My 14 yr old does not have one- no need for it

If you have your own cell phone for him to contact you on then at that age-it should be enough (but that's my opinion)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• *excuse my many typos...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Wow, hostile about cell phones much folks?

It's actually sounds like a great plan and a great way to teach a lesson about responsibility and material things, need vs wants. And how to follow the rules.

My son has had a cell phone forever, he has NEVER abused the privilege and he has never felt "Entitled" to anything. Geeze. A cellphone won't make you kid feel entitled unless you allow them to think like that. You can give them everything in the world and still teach them about things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It is a good compromise. If it had been my kid the cell phone would have been trashed and g-ma would have gotten an earful about who is the parent and who needs to mind her own business. For me it would not be the whole fact that there was a cell phone, it would be that my child and the g-ma felt the need to go behind my back and get something I had said no to already. I don't tolerate that and my parents and my inlaws know this.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2011