How do I get margrine out of carpet and how do I keep him out of things?!

So thins week alone my 23 month old has gotten into a box of pasta, mouthwash, pepper, a perminate marker, craft paint and margrine.
I put a baby gate up to our bathroom, bedroom and spare bedroom because he keeps getting into things. i put things up and he finds away to climb u and get them. If I'm not in the room with him 24/7 then he is getting into things. He is really sneaky. My husband thought he was sleep in his room so he took a nap too. Well DS climb over his baby gate useing a toy truck and then climbed over the babyy gate to the bathroom and got into the mouth wash. It's suppose to be a childproof lid but he still got it open.Luckily he threw it all up and DH heard. Today I was making lunch and had to use the restroom. When I was in there he was watching cartoons and playing with his trucks. I came out and he was in his room covering everything in margrine. I wasn't even in there for 3 mins!

Now I am in the living room with baby gates up at all access points, sitting with him. I have a house to clean and things to do. I have done everything I can think of but I don't know what else to do. i put him in time out for 5 mins today and he usually only goes in for 2. I have tried spanking him when he gets into things that will hurt him. I have put things in baby proof cabinets but he always gets into them.

SO I need some advice if at all possible. Oh and how do I get the gressy margrine out of his carpet??

Thanks!

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• We found an all-purpose kind of lock that we used to hold our DD's door in place when it was opened (didn't want a 1 yo closing and locking herself in) and we latched the toilet. We have enforced the "NO opening of cabinets and drawers as well as the fridge" from as early as I can remember. You have to stand firm and enforce the rules until he can be trusted alone for a few minutes. Mine is 3 and is only left alone for about 10 min in a room without being checked on or she is into stuff she shouldn't be. I am sorry that you are having a rough week, and I hope that it gets better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It sounds like you are taking all the precautions. Now you just have to start teaching him "no". And stay out or mommy and daddy stuff.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Dawn dish soap and a small amount of water. Scrape up all you can first.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I put a hook and eye lock on doors that I didn't want our son to get into (way up high at the top of the doors). We put safety locks on the bathroom, and kitchen cabinet doors, and a lock on the fridge. They make locks for everything, and we used all of them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Oh and Mean Green works great for the margarine...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• use every baby lock you can get your hands on and start really enforcing the word NO but as in NO we dont get in the its mommy/daddy stuff and so on .....my ds is 9 and he still gets in to stuff.....they test you at every age...oh and scrape up as much of the butter as you can and then use warm/hot water and dawn dishsoap or some kind of grease remover to get it out of the carpet....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• carpet clearer{Deep Oxie } my 18 month old climb alot he used a toy box climb on top of deep freezer then took dirt out of flower pot rubed into carpet just but safe proofe locks & latches
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• We have pocket doors so the locks don't work on them. I have locks on cabinets and on the fridge. He knows how to open them. I put a hook and eye on the front door but they don't fit the way our inside door work.
    I come from a huge family and I am telling i never remember having this much of an issue out of any of my siblings!
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I got it all out. Between him and the dog I don't which one is driving me more nuts today, LOL.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Baby locks and gates, and above all supervision.
    Anonymous