Totally Disapointed in the way my daughter dresses

My daughter went to school today with tight nylon pants, streching material that hugs the body. She usually wears this with a shirt covering her body but she wore waist length shirts. I am tempted to put her in a school with uniforms. This is the first time she's done this and I'm concerned that she will attract the wrong crowd if she hasn't already. She's a beautiful Latin girl and doesn't have to dress like this for attention in the 10th grade, 16 years old. What would you do?

samif

Asked by samif at 11:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• She bought them herself? I'm guessing you didn't buy them. She's a teenager and expirementing I guess. You know if she's a good kid or not. My sisters dress like this on occasion and they just avoid the wrong crowds.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Make her dress right, or take out her clothes and replace with uniforms until she can learn to dress properly.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would have sent my daughter right back to her room to try again until she came out dressed in something I thought was appropriate. My kids are not allowed to buy clothes I don't approve of, even when they use their own money, the clothes they buy has to fit into the house rules.

Answer by missanc at 11:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If she were mine in my house I would regulate a bit what she wears. For instance if I didn't think something was appropriate I would send her back to her room to change. Try to find a happy medium. Things that are cool but still modest.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• IDK I wouldn't want to make her more rebellious because she can't wear what she wants. If she is open and honest with you and you KNOW she is not in the wrong crowd let her express herself. I'm sure it makes her feel good... from the description is doesn't sound like she is dressing like a hooker or anything. Just talk with her about it and let her know what she may be getting herself into by wearing tight clothes and how to protect herself and be on guard about bad boys!!!!! LOL My husband would probably disagree with me - we willcross that bridge when we get there LOL
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 11:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The look you are talking about it very "in" by the way - I don't think she is reaching to be sexual or anything it's just stretchy pants :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 12:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would tell her that outfit is inappropriate and she can't wear it to school. If I thought the school would back me up I'd call and ask them to call her to the office and tell her she was in violation of the dress code. I'm pretty sure our school wouldn't back me up since they allow kids to wear things way less tasteful. My standards are higher than the school dress code, so when I think my daughter's outfits are in really poor taste I take her home and make her change.  I explain to her that some articles of clothing are ok, but only when combined with certain other articles of clothing.  If she attempts to wear an outfit to school that I've told her is not appropriate then I take it and donate it to Goodwill.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Fitting in is important to kids. Obviously she feels dressing like this will make her fit in. It's the end of the school year though. Why is she starting now? I would definitely talk with her.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'm kind of torn (I also don't have daughters), when I was a teen my mother hated the way I dressed sometimes. Sometimes she would send me back to my room telling me I couldn't wear "that" outfit to school. I also changed but at the same time I was also pissed she was telling me what I could wear at 16. I suppose there is a fine line between letting a teen experiment and being appropriate.
    I do think the style is in right now, so she is probably not the only one dressed like that at school. If she's a good girl and you have open communication maybe talk about it. Let her know what you thought and find out why she wanted to wear it. My boys are always asking me what they should wear (not sure why) but they do. Although my older son while typically dresses very nice he's gone out of character a few times and I just rolled with it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'm not there yet mine is only 5yrs old and I dont want to be lol. I think its a sign that you need to start watching her more but dont let her know or she will start to hid things from you. I told my kids I will go to school with them if they mess up or my daughter wears clothes I dont like. Maybe you need to have another women she looks up to besides you and have a shopping day to help her dress right but not tell her thats what its for make it like its a girls day out. You know are kids listen to others in put before ours at times because we are the parents and we dont know what we are talking about remember lol haha...
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2011