Would you consider this Government Overreach?

If someone wants to assume the responsibility for their actions and purchase raw milk, do we need a nanny government stepping in? 

Do you see this as consistent with the Obama administration's "hands off" approach in other areas? (read article for more)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A yearlong sting operation, including aliases, a 5 a.m. surprise inspection and surreptitious purchases from an Amish farm in Pennsylvania, culminated in the federal government announcing this week that it has gone to court to stop Rainbow Acres Farm from selling its contraband to willing customers in the Washington area.

The product in question: unpasteurized milk....

“It is the FDA’s position that raw milk should never be consumed,” said Tamara N. Ward, spokeswoman for the FDA, whose investigators have been looking into Rainbow Acres for months, and who finally last week filed a 10-page complaint in federal court in Pennsylvania seeking an order to stop the farm from shipping across state lines any more raw milk or dairy products made from it.

The farm’s owner, Dan Allgyer, didn’t respond to a message seeking comment, but his customers in the District of Columbia and Maryland were furious at what they said was government overreach.

“I look at this as the FDA is in cahoots with the large milk producers,” said Karin Edgett, a D.C. resident who buys directly from Rainbow Acres. “I don’t want the FDA and my tax dollars to go to shut down a farm that hasn’t had any complaints against it. They’re producing good food, and the consumers are extremely happy with it.”

The FDA’s actions stand in contrast to other areas where the Obama administration has said it will take a hands-off approach to violations of the law, including the use of medical marijuana in states that have approved it, and illegal-immigrant students and youths, whom the administration said recently will not be targets of their enforcement efforts.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Definitely. And on a personal note, raw milk is the only milk I would consume. Actually grew up on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

I agree Anon (not sure why you are hiding)~ I grew up on it as well.. growing up in Amish Country, Ohio it is very common....

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• We drink raw. Goat milk. Hell yes its over reach
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Due to Bovine Tuberculosis, it is imperative that milk be pasteurized before consumption. When milk was not pasteurized, many decades ago, numerous deaths occurred due to this infectious disease that commonly occurs in cows. Humans contract and die from this disease and the pasteurization method largely eliminates that possibility. I concur that the FDA has probable cause to assert that the Amish dairy should not sell that milk across state lines. This is very much a health issue and not an economic issue. The government has a legitimate role in preventing the transfer of contagious diseases.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• That some in families grew up on fresh milk, as did I, does not minimize the contagion factor that could compromise the health of so many in such a short period of time. In small communities, contagion can be quickly isolated...not now with mass distribution systems in place.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• yes..lets not have any health standards so you can drink your raw milk and endanger others lives

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The thought of drinking any liquid animal product makes me want to heave.... while I think a family should be able to produce and nourish their OWN family with what ever kind of products that they choose, I do think the FDA is correct in regulating what a producer can sell or give to others. I have a healthy respect for food bore pathogens-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I find most of what government does an overreach. I guess this is what happens when you depend on government to make all of your decisions for you.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• . I guess this is what happens when you depend on government to make all of your decisions for you.

Again with broad brush.

Give.it.up. We are civilized country and we have rules and responsibilities. It's no longer the wild,wild west. Also, life involves gradations, it's not all black, white, right or wrong. Did you vaccinate your kids? Or was that too much government interference too? Do you stop at red lights, or is that too much government control too?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The FDA’s actions stand in contrast to other areas where the Obama administration has said it will take a hands-off approach to violations of the law, including the use of medical marijuana in states that have approved it, and illegal-immigrant students and youths, whom the administration said recently will not be targets of their enforcement efforts.

I suppose our government agencies should lead by example.  If they want the people to follow the laws, they should start enforcing them equally.  I suppose it's easier to bully one farmer at a time instead of deporting illegal immigrants and enforcing drug laws.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2011