After a C Section

My doc has told me that he may do a c sect. I've had one vaginal birth and remember all the bleeding afterward. Do you still bleed after a c sect like you do with vaginal deliveries? And also....what's the average recovery time for a c section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I bled about the same after c-section and the vaginal birth. I had an emergency c though, so I can't give you an accurate recovery time for that. I couldn't even get in and out of bed y myself for the first 4 weeks they ripped me apart so badly, but then I had a friend who had a scheduled c and she was up doing housework after 2 weeks.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Absolutely you still bleed, it should be the same for vag and c-section sicne you are shedding the extra blood and all from the pergnancy. The first few days are pretty painful, BUT you HAVE to get up and move around ASAP to get you blood flowing and it really does help the recovery process. Make sure you to stay up on taking your meds til they are gone, its much harder to catch up on the pain once youve missed a dose.
    trusting_in_HIM

Answer by trusting_in_HIM at 10:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I had a failed induction so I had a C-section. The recovery was horrible, I pulled myself apart and had to go back and get glued shut. If you have one dont push your self to hard make sure to follow the instructions the doctors give you.

And about the bleeding it lasted about 6 weeks
    RileysMommy1004

Answer by RileysMommy1004 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I suppose it's different for every woman, but after my c-section I was up and at the grocery store (moving very slowly!) within the first 2 weeks. It took a good month before I felt like I had a lot of mobility back. (Like putting on shoes/socks - OW!)

Oh, and yes you still bleed after a c-section. I don't remember how long I bled, but it was like a heavy period so around a week I think.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Lol whoops, my last sentence made no sense. I intended to say that the HEAVY bleeding lasted for a week...the light bleeding continued for at least a couple weeks after that.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• With my first I did not bleed at all after I had him and didnt have a period for 10wks after. My recovery was about 4wks to be able to be my normal self. With my second I bleed for 3 wks then I had a normal period 4wks later. And the recovery for that was a little longer because i had my older child to take care of and no outside help.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It varies from person to person, but it is a longer recovery period. I had two C sections and the bleeding lasted two weeks. Godd luck with everything and congrats!

vroberts3677

Answer by vroberts3677 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• You do bleed, but from what I understand, you don't bleed for as long. I stopped after about 4 weeks. I started going walking after about 2 weeks, and had pretty well bounced back by my 6 week check. But I didn't have a toddler to chase around. =) Everyone is different. Just listen to your body. If you push yourself too hard, your body will let you know.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My first was an emergency c-section. I only bled for about a week. I was up walking the next day and I was driving stick shift three days latter. I didn't get to take baby home; I delivered at 25 weeks, and had to drive to the NICU. I wasn't walking very fast anywhere for about three weeks. That first night home was the hardest, every chair I sat in just hurt. Just don't push yourself too hard but do stay moving. I ended up with DVT three months latter and the meds for that really interfered with the healing of the incision, so I don't know what the typical recovery time is.
    These Q's would be great to ask the Doc. You know, just to compare answers!
    Congrats on baby!
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2008