How old was your child before you let them take a bath alone?

AydensMommy1109

Asked by AydensMommy1109 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• How old are they when they're able to start sitting up?
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 12:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• lol that wasnt really an answer... My son started sitting up at 6 months =-)
    AydensMommy1109

Comment by AydensMommy1109 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• At. 2 I let him stay in and play while I was in the attached bedroom. Around 3 i'd leave the bedroom but still check often. Now he's 4 and pretty much does it on his own. Once a weekish I go in there with him and like make sure he gets really clean.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• In this house puberty, Sorry too many siblings and the cousins the same age and sex here. Seriously about 5. Before that they really can't wash themselves properly, also there's the slip and drown factor.
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Wow my son is 3-1/2 and I wasn't even going to begin to think about doing that anytime soon lol!~ I guess I am a worrier too
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• son is 6 1/2 and starting to prefer showers to baths (although there's times he requires a good soak!) and he soaps/scrubs everything and I help him rinse. Our water gets very, very hot and he gets distracted easily.... he's only in kindergarten. I would not consider giving him total independence til 3rd grade or so. I know he'd come out with dirty toes and shampoo still in the hair.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• about 6 or 7 if you refer of being alone to bath themselves.
    FloridaGurl4

Answer by FloridaGurl4 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My twins are 3 1/2 and I'm still at the point I won't walk out of the bathroom when they are in the the tub. My oldest was past 4 before I felt comfortable enough to leave the bathroom for short periods of time while she bathed. By about 5 or 6 she was to the point she mostly did it on her own, but probably 8 or 9 before I stopped at least checking in on her and making sure the shampoo was all rinsed out. I didn't allow her to lock the bathroom door until she was 10 or 11.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• my dd is 3 1/2 and i dont let her bath alone yet.. i can be more free, like to my hair or make up while she plays because the mirror faces the tub.. but i never leave the room..

as to the sitting up answer.. i'll be seeing you on the news for your baby drowning and you with charges probably in the near future.. i'll be keeping your children in my thoughts and hope they make it everyday now when i bath my daughter.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i let my 4 year old bathe alone (although i can see the tub from my couch so i sit down and do homework while he is in the bath.) with my almost 2 year old i stay in the bathroom but not necessarily right by the tub. if ds is in the tub with her i will drain the bath so its just over their ankles and go to the couch but keep a constant eye on them.
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2011