As a realtor is it your job to "Stage" the clients house ? Or what did your Realtor help with?

We did not get once piece of advice from our Realtor about the way our house looks for selling. She said it was perfect and nothing needed to be changed. I am looking at other houses and they have that "pretty" cosmetically that we are completely missing. So I asked her about it and she gave me the card for a "Stager" who will charge me $75 an hour.. from everyone I've talked to, their Realtor did this FOR them..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Our realtor came and looked at our house before we started preparing to sell and pointed out the things that needed to be repaired or replaced. We had already moved out, so we didn't have any "stuff" in the house. He came back before we listed and recommended that we paint the front door red. I thought it was a terrible idea, but we did it anyway. The people who bought the house mentiioned how much they liked the red door, so I guess he was right.

I feel like the realtor should give you some advice, but I guess professional stagers wouldn't exist if realtors always did all of it. I might call around and talk to a few different realtors and ask them if they help with staging just to see if that is the norm where you live.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think it all depends where you are at. Here, realtors do NOT stage your home for you. They might give you some advice, but their job is to list and show your home. If you want ideas, try watching the HGTV show Sell This House.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Im a Realtor and I would NEVER be promoting a "stager" It IS the Realtors job to give you advice on how to stage your home for the maximum effect! Id bet your Realtor is getting a piece of the $75 the stager charges! You can GOOGLE "how to stage a home" and get LOTS of free advice.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• While it is the realtors job to give advice it is NOT common practice in our area for the realtor to do it for you. Not sure about your area though it might be different. Google staging your home for sale and get some ideas if your realtor isn't willing to help and maybe think about finding a different realtor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• when i tried selling my home, they had to take pics of the house to put up on the internet, so i had to move my changing table and other baby items out of the way to make it look more like a home without a baby. i would just worry about that. When people come look at your house, you will be at first excited to clean your little heart away then you will realize you DO live there so cleaning up EVERY time someone makes an appointment to show your house is too tiring and you will just do a quck pickup and make the beds and that's about it and the people seeing your house wont hold it againest you. So investing into a "stager" would be not worth your money or time, really.

and yes it is your REALTOR's job to do this for you, ive never heard of a "stager" in my life. also remember, sometimes people have already moved and thats why their house is set up in such a fake stage set up.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Our realtor gave us advice, and she does some little things when she shows the home like light a candle, start some music, hide the remotes, and open the blinds.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 12:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• some realtors stage others don't.. if she did not advice you then id shop for a new realtor though.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Many realtors do give some advice, but their expertise in in listing/selling a home not interior decorating! Professional stagers will help sell your home more quickly and do a much better job than any realtor. So even if a realtor may give you some ideas, the effect won't be anywhere near what a stager would do.

Answer by missanc at 1:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Its your Realtors job to tell you how it should look. Not to actually do it. Sure its a nice gesture and after all he is getting a commission on it, but its certainly not an obligation. Good luck !

Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 1:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Our realtor gave us some great advice but she never did anything for us, which I didn't expect. I'm surprised she didn't give you a few pointers, you'd think she would like to make some money off it.
    I'm no expert but I can try to help. Don't have clutter, this makes your house look like there is not enough room-if you don't have enough room potential buyers will feel they won't either. Keep it clean, of course. Never show your house if it is not immaculate-this shows that you have taken care of it. Keep your decorations very simple and neutral, if at all possible take down family pictures, this will make it easier for potential buyers to envision themselves in your house. Good luck!
    Anonymous