What's the best way to discipline a toddler?

I have friends who spank toddlers and friends who talk it out them. but what do you think works best?

PaCsSupermom

Asked by PaCsSupermom at 12:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• sometimes spanking works and sometimes it doesn't...I spanked my daughter when she hit the cat and it made her hit me...the best thing that works for MY daughter is ignoring her...if it fits what she's doing..if she's hurting someone or something or acting completely out of control, then she sits in time out...after she's calmed down then we talk...she usually will say "Im sorry mommy"..she's 2 1/2 ..it takes some experimenting, honestly..and every kid is different. there is not right or wrong answer here.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My son usually gets a time out in his crib, and occasionally a swat on his butt. He's 2, and I don't think there's any reasoning with a 2 year old, so I don't "talk it out" with him.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Time outs, explaining the behavior can't continue. actually talking to the child trying to find out the issue, and taking away a toy, or activity.
    but NEVER hitting.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I use the corner, (I swat like a butterfly so thats pretty ineffective) I think that follow through is the most important thing.
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I spanked my son when he was younger and now I don't have to anymore because he knows there are consequence. BUT I also the punishment should fit the "crime"
    PaCsSupermom

Comment by PaCsSupermom (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I 100% agree with kkbird! Well said!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Redirection
    Time Outs
    Appropriate role modeling the right actions
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• time outs when done right.. first I give a warning.. ONE warning, then I calmly (no yelling) put the child in time out for however old they are (3 years = 3 minutes) I currently use a high chair for a time out chair, but you can use any area really (a room thta is safe, a couch, a corner in the room, a mat, etc). Set the timer (kitchen timers, phones, etc work, so long as they can hear when its up.) Then we talk about what they did, why it was wrong and a better way to do it (example: if they hit, I explain hitting is not nice that it's wrong, if you are mad at someone for taking a toy or something, talk to the adult in the room and we work it out so everyone is happy). Then a hug with an I love you and we move on to something else for the day.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• spanking doesn't work for a lot of kids, infact it can make them more aggressive.. this is aconstant problem with my nephew.. sure he listens at home somewhat to avoid a spanking, but when out and away from his mom at my house he's aggressive. He'll hit someone for taking a toy he wanted (even if the other kid got it out first and was playing with it, etc).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011