my grandbaby had abnormal PKU at birth, the retested at one year old, the test are still abnormal and they want to send her to a hemotalogist specialist. Said she may have something similar to sickel cell. Please someone help me and tell what this might indicate.

kingb3

Asked by kingb3 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't tell you what it means, that would be the job of a doctor. Call the doctors office or nurse line for the medical insurance.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• they retested at a year? wow thats a while that that baby went w/o the right care. my daughter had an abnormal pku and they made me retest a week later. id say retest again . just to b sure. sickle cell is a condition that can be delt with somewhat easily i hope everything goes well
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thanks, they actually did do a test a few weeks after she was born, but they blew off and said whatever it was it was a possibility it would not show up later. But it did, somethings i have read points to retardation. My daughter is just about come undone. They are in the process of setting up another appointment with this specialist. My heart is just falling.
    kingb3

Comment by kingb3 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• PKU is a disease where your body is not able to process a component of many foods. Children and adults with PKU have to avoid many foods to limit their exposure since it can build up in their bodies and cause brain damage. If there is any chance she has PKU you need to see a hematologist and a dietitian to limit the effects. (This disease is not a death sentence or as dangerous as cancer or sickle cell. I had a friend in college who was in her 20's and was attending a Big Ten college with very little trouble.)

karischub

Answer by karischub at 6:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thank you, they are sending her to a hematologist next week for further test, she is one year old and i am scare to death
    kingb3

Comment by kingb3 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on May. 4, 2011