For people with illness' that causes you to lose work, how do you manage to keep your position?

do they know about it before you started your position? Have you ever lost a job because of it?

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 1:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Health

• Ih the state of MN, you can file for FMLA, and it's basically short term disability and protects your job for you while you're away. I believe you can use it for up to 120 days. Also, during that time, you can file to receive disability payments that are usually 60% of what your income was. After your FMLA is up, you're expected to return to work and your job/position are retained.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• FMLA - Family/Medical Leave of Absence
    Molly4630

• in 1st trimester of 1st pregnancy I had fainting spells and had to leave my job as a photographer. It was inappropriate for me to be around small children so much when I could drop at any minute. I gave them a 10 day notice but only made it another 2-3 days before I was officially on bed rest til we found the right cocktail of medications to fix me. I had an official doctors note put into my employee file but never went back (haven't worked since son was born)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I never lost a job, I actually had to quit on my own because it was horrible. I didn't have a long term problem, but it certainly didn't help me working. but, at that time I had 2 and the other job was pretty understanding. Might I suggest to you a home opportunity that will secure you no matter what happens? The worst that could possibly happen is you make and extra 1000-5000 a month for working part time.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Check the short term disability or long term disability rules with your job. I have been warned before about missing too much work because I was sick a lot, so during my third pregnancy, I hid it from my boss until I had more sick time to use.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 2:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I just battled through it - couldn't get the dr. to put me on disability (even though I couldn't function for many, many months). Have now recovered but worried about losing my job at the time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Depends on a lot of things but generally speaking FMLA and the ADA should protect you.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I hope you get better soon
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 7:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2011