Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can you file a restraining order on someone in another state?

OK, so my dad is in a nursing home. He's really confused and doctors say he can't live on his own anymore and that he needs professional care due to major disabilities. We are trying really hard to keep him comfortable, and help him adjust and accept his new home. Well, my brothers wife who has a history of being unstable, such as spousal abuse, threatening us with physical threats, always thinks she's going to get money from my dad and I could go on and on for days. Anyway she lives on the other side of the country. We have been caring for dad for the last 4 years with no help, or even a visit from my brother or her. She is calling him at the home telling him there is nothing wrong with him and that my husband and I are picking him up and we are going to care for him. She tells him we are stealing from him, lying to him, and trapping him for money. Not even close. She even called the nursing home and threatened the administrator. She says she is getting on a plane and coming out here to deal with us. She even called on Easter to say she would ruin us all. I know for a fact this woman is dangerous. Can we file a restraining order this far away?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Definately a protection order. I had to get one against my ex because he was stalking me, was abusive and threatening me, You need to keep ALL the proof of her threats and everything! Get statements from witnesses and go down to the courthouse asap. I doubt she is coming but don't take any chances! GL!

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • Yes you can. My DH got one against his ex from another state, however our state laws have no jurisdiction in her state. Meaning the laws that go along with retraining orders in our state differ from hers.

    Answer by yesmaam at 2:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • But sounds like she's full of shit anyway

    Answer by yesmaam at 2:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • i don't think you'd be able to get a restraining order based on the evidence you provided. BUT you can probably get a protective order, it's similar. my parents had to do this against my ex husband, whom i do have a restraining order on-- but since he never physically harmed them, only verbal threats there was little proof of, they couldn't get the full restraining order. also, if he's in a home- they might have some type of policy of blocking people from contact. definitely go to your local courthouse and see if they have a "self-help" center...i know mine does, and i was able to do all the restraining order stuff without an attorney. good luck.

    Answer by lexi8622 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • by the way you can get it if they're in another state, as long as you have enough proof - but there may be complications as the other party is supposed to show up for one of the hearings.

    Answer by lexi8622 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • you can do the hearing by phone, we did

    Answer by yesmaam at 3:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

  • Oh yes yesmaam is right, you can do the hearings by phone

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2011