Possible mold in a rental property...

I had no clue what section to put this under..but anyway..

I moved into this house in October...the landlord had a list of things he had "planned" on doing outside..which to date havent been done..but no biggie. When my grandma and mom were here on move in day my grandma noticed water damage under the sink and it looked like they covered it with a piece of plywood which was also damaged. My grandma asked the LL if he was going to fix it and he said..well theres nothing I can really do, you guys can fix it if you want! WOW really...so from then on I havent really even bothered asking about his plans for everything else..I had a pipe bust..well actually it just came out of the wall, (kitchen sink)...and he really wanted to accuse me over the phone of putting something down the sink that would cause that (SERIOUSLY?)...Anyways he came out and fixed it himself..hes big on DIY (which wouldn't be a problem if he did a descent job...)..Everything in the house he did himself, funny you don't notice before you sign the lease! but the house is really falling apart! It looks like theres TONS of foundation damage, the roof is damaged and the house is rotting..

Long story sorry, But to get to my point...my kids have been getting Upper respiratory infections, my poor DD has had a runny nose for two weeks and everyone is caughing. My house has an awful smell...It smells old (which it is)..but it also smells musty, like it has water damage....My mom thinks I should call the city and have the house inspected. If/when I get the house inspected and they find mold, what happens next?!!

Sorry this is so long, kinda had to put some background in it....TIA for any advice or help...

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• For health's sake begin looking for a new place.

Next contact a landlord tenant attorney, legal aid may be able to help or ask for pro bono help.

Call the city and request a complete inspection.

If you choose to do any repairs document everything.

Go to or at least call your dr everytime there is an illness, to document it.

Document everything your landlord says.

I think the most basic law in every state says the rental unit must be safe and habitable. If there in dangerous mold (this may even be hidden from view) the home is NOT habitable. If you have to move the landlord will probably have to pay for it.

Good luck.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 2:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yep that, but good luck making it happen. First a test needs to be done to prove it is mold and what kind. They run $100 ish and have to be sent out to a lab. Once that comes back, you will need a lawyer. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Oh take pictures!!!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Mold caused by a landlord's failure to fix leaks. Landlords in all states but Colorado and Arkansas are responsible for maintaining and repairing rental property, and this extends to fixing leaking pipes, windows, and roofs -- the causes of most mold. If the landlord doesn't take care of leaks and mold grows as a result, you may be able to hold the landlord responsible if you can convince a judge or jury that the mold has caused a health problem. (To learn more about the landlord's duty to repair, read Nolo's article Renter's Rights to Privacy and Repairs FAQ.)

yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• He will be required to fix it, you may even have to temporarily move which is he responsible for. You can google. landlord tenant laws for your state.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would call the city, they will come out and do a home inspection.Make sure you have a list of everything that is wrong so you don't forget a single thing that needs to be pointed out. Also, keep a log of the dates and complaints you've made verbal or written complaints to your landlord about things.
    In the meatime though...you can use bleach to kill some of that mold and to clean it away.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I am looking through the housing code right now. My landlords are husband and wife. Supposedly the husband is going back overseas to work again, and Im not even sure if he has done so yet! They just dont seem to really care about the property at all as long as its being rented! This is a frustrating, and scary situation to be in!

Anyone know if they release my lease, will I still get my deposit back (of course less damages etc.) Im just asking in general can they hold my deposit if they decide to let me out of the lease instead of put us in a hotel!?
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i would call him and tell him he has two days to get it fixed, you will then call the inspector and see if it's safe. then if it's not tell him you want your full deposit back and a month to move (of course you still have to pay the rent for the month) good luck to you!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• take pictures and call the town.. he will end up having to fix it by a certain time or face being fined in most areas.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Well ofcourse my state has no clear guidelines on mold. My LL is required to make sure he provides a well ventilated house..which the exhaust fans in the bathroom haven't worked since I moved in...and the house is to be "habitable" as required by code! But the code doesn't actually mention mold either!!
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2011