Is your kid dependent on a "Lovey"

My dd was never really attached to a blanket or anything. She did tote Elmo around for about a year but it wasn't as much of a comfort thing as she just was obsessed with Elmo.

Just wondering what parents do when their kid is dependent on a lovey if the kid loses it. I know a friend of mine drove two hours back to hotel when they realized they left a beloved bunny. For them it was easier than trying to deal with putting the kid to bed without it.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Only one of my kids had a 'lovey'- my middle girl was extremely attached to a little Winnie the Pooh that lit up and played music... she carried it with her everywhere for about two years. We had a spare one hidden in the top of our closet in case some grave misfortune ever befell Pooh Bear and he had to be replaced. After she finally outgrew the attachment, I donated backup Pooh to a toy drive- we never had to use him.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• my younger brother had a stuffed humpty dumpty doll that he slept with for a few years. Once Humpty was left at a hotel on vacation and my parents had to move heaven and earth to get it back. DD hasn't gone down that road yet...
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• None of mine ever had anything like that. Would I drive two hours to get it - I don't think so.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My son has a penguin he loves. We bought 4 extra ones for when they wear out or get lost.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• both my kids had blankets. My son had his and carried it around the house and slept w/ it~ my daughter has 2 that she sleeps with and totes around the house! :) I don't allow them to travel! *ha* Both sets of grandparents had blankets that my kids used as 'theirs' when we went to visit. The only time they traveled was on long week vacations to Mexico or up north to the cabin. We just made sure not to leave w/o them when going home!! :)
    ljbaudoin

Answer by ljbaudoin at 3:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thankfully, no! My oldest, when he was about 5, did have a Woody from Toy Story that he loved. One time he left it at a grocery store and screamed when he realized he left it. Luckily, we weren't far. He didn't carry it all the time though or need it for sleep, that happened right after he got it so the novelty hadn't worn off.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My oldest didn't have a lovey. My middle child has 2 lovey. We bought her a toddler sized winnie the pooh blanket when she was 2. She is 4 and still sleeps with it even though it is too small. Her other lovey is a stuffed animal that has the top of a monkey and the bottom of a banana. There is no way for us to replace that. My youngest has a bee that he sleeps with. We are hoping they will just grow out of it.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 4:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My 2 yo has a little blanket bear that goes everywhere. When I realized how attached he was getting to it (around 6 months) I went out, bought 2 more identical ones, and started rotating them in/out so I could keep them clean and washed, so it never developed that smell. At 2, he can distinguish them from one another but as long as he has one he's okay with it.

Answer by missanc at 9:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• yes a praying teddy bear my 3 year old cause he has fever serizers
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2011