Has anyone used the Three Day Potty Training Method?

My son will be three in September. He is interested in sitting on the toilet to read books, watch himself in the mirror, sing songs, etc. He peed once in the toilet one early morning months and months ago. He's as well pooped in the potty just a week ago. However, I can't keep his interest long enough to go consistantly. I've tried having him drink a glass of milk then taking him so many minutes later, but he always ends up peeing on my floor after I take him off. Even if he sits there for 20 minutes. I've tried letting him play in a cup of warm water, but that didn't work. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of .. heck even all my mom can think of too.

He's most definitely interested. He tells me when he needs a diaper change, he seems to understand what to do on the toilet, but I can't get him to actually go. And if he's been on there for more then 10 minutes he'll start to cause trouble to get me to take him off.

So ladies .. What methods have you used? I REFUSE to purchase the 3day training books, but I'd love to know what their methods are. PLEASE HELP!

Oh .. And my reasoning for getting him potty trained ASAP are ..
1. He's definitely ready, just getting him to start is the issue.
2. I have three kids under the age of three. I'm losing a fortune in diapers.

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 2:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I trained my kids, I had no idea there was something called the three day method. But that is what I did. I took the diapers/pull ups away completely. That's the only way. Stay home for 3 days. Take him every 1/2 hour. He'll get it. Don't worry about the night. Just start with the day. Be positive. He will have accidents. Have plenty of underwear ready. You will go through them on the first day. I think with my son the first day we went through 12 pairs of underwear. But by the next day he was getting it. Day 3 he was completely trained. Just never go back to diapers during the day. Wait until you have 3 days to devote to this and stay home. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Exactly as mompam said is what happened to me and my son. http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/04/potty-learning-mom-informed-style.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Yep, what mampam said. I didn't know it had a name.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I guess I'm too inconsistant, I need to work on that. (In more areas in my life then just potty training. Ha!) I have some "Thomas and Friends" underwear, because he absolutely is in love with 'Thomas'. I will have to get a few more pairs, because right now he only has three pairs. I will try and add a little more fun to it as well, so we shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, ladies!!
    JazzlikeMraz

Comment by JazzlikeMraz (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i have never heard of he three day method
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• lol @ being inconsistant. I'm the same way but thanfully my 3 older kids are officially potty trained.
    I would set the oven timer for every 10-15 mins and when the timer went off we both knew it was time to head to the potty. I wouldn't make him sit for more than a min or two because he may not want to anymore just for that reason. But the timer was very helpful in holding both mommy and child accountable for when to go. We made it fun too, when the timer went off we would say or sing, "pee time or potty time" and dd would run to the bathroom. I also used this method with children I was watching. Because let's face it you've got your hands full, especially if there's more than one child in the house.
    Happy pottying:)
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2011