Why is it that everyone thinks by me getting the lapband(weight loss surgery) its the easy way out??

There is nothing easy about it!!! Between all the testing classes and the actually surgery its a lot of work. Plus you have to still eat the right things and not eat certain foods. Agh! Im just tired of not having a support system for something that is so important to me...

skileybug

Asked by skileybug at 3:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I received the same reaction from a lot of people when I had gastric bypass 5 years ago. There's a lot of ignorance and misconceptions out there regarding WLS. Most people have no concept of just how much your life has to change if you're going to be successful. It's a tool, not a magic cure.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I wouldnt think it would be easy at all
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Alot of people say that because they dont know what is involved. My mom and aunt both had Gastric Bypass and had to go through counseling, and the surgery itself. On top of it it is a life changing surgery. Good Luck.
    Oh there should be support groups talk to your doctor. My mom and aunt both found support groups that way.,

Answer by gemgem at 3:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I don't think that is the easy way out at all. They have actually proven that some people just don't get the feeling of being full. I mean how do you control that? If you never feel satisfied, you will always eat! Those are the people that the lapband benefits the most. I don't know if that is you, but even if its not, it is a way to take control of your health and well-being so good for you. Some people out there go on the "Hollywood Cookie Diet" or whatever fad there is this month. Those aren't exactly "healthy" options either. I think as long as you are taking the steps necessary to get your body back where it needs to be, no one has the right to make you feel bad about it. Its the ones that do nothing, that everyone should be concerned about.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I've looked into the lapband option but I can't afford it and our insurance won't cover it so I'm stuck. I think many people judge it to be an easy way out because we/you don't have to use any kind of self control, willpower, determination, etc. for us to get the results we want. So really in that regard it is easy. No counting calories, as we all know, is time consuming and confusing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your responses- to meooma you do still have to have self control i can eat ice cream, applesauce, mashed potatoes and still never get full from it. So, you still have to be very mindful of what you eat and how much of it you eat. Certain foods you have to avoid and they do want you to weigh your food our and make sure you are getting the proper amounts of each food group. So, it is probably a lot harder then dieting because if you eat the wrong thing you can get sick ( like bread) because it swells in the stomach or even soda. Just wanted to let you know this little bit of information just in case the opportunity ever comes your way to get it because its a complete life changing

skileybug

Comment by skileybug (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I don't think that...my mom got gastric bypass about a year ago and the food she is allowed to eat now is so limited I have no idea how she even gets pleasure from eating anymore....although I guess that's the point lol....personally I think it would have been EASIER for her to do it the "hard way" lol

Congragulations on having more discipline then I will EVER have lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I don't think it is easy---it is scary!!! Personally,I would rather gradually lose weight by following a new lifestyle , new way to eat----small portions, no sodas,no fast foods, broiled meat and not fried, no white flour foods, lots of water and walking. I am terrified of any surgery. There has to be a safer way to lose weight. It might take a long time,but it would be safer. And free.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• if you have not decided on what Surgeon to use please check out this website.
    http://www.qualitycaremexico.com/specialties/bariatric-clinics/
    http://www.qualitycaremexico.com/doctors/cintry-slim-fitting/
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 4:30 PM on May. 4, 2011