Extreme couponing

I just started watching the extreme couponing show. I totally understand why these moms want to save money, but is this not going overboard? I see them getting things they could never possibly use all of before the expiration date, or buying SO much stuff they have to rent a place to store it all, and so much of it is unhealthy. Today I'm watching this lady buying cereal and she says to her son "I know you don't like this kind but its free so it's what you get". I could see doing the couponing, but I don't feed my family a lot of the junk foods that seem to be the majority of coupons, so I would do it and donate everything I couldn't use to a food pantry or homeless shelter. My question is, what do you think about extreme couponing? Would you ever do it, if you had the time?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Just for Fun

• The show is hoarders with coupons. That's not how it really works. One of the women is already under investigation for fraud, and people are filing complaints about one from the third show as well. What's truly sad is they were both stupid enough to commit coupon fraud on the show, thinking nobody would notice. If convicted they can face 10+ years in prison, so hopefully it will put an end to the show. TLC has already issued one statement about how they weren't involved and blah blah blah, but it's going to come down to their sponsors killing it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I agree with NP, these women are hoarders. I saw one that had sevearl packages of cat treats but no cat. I understand they were actually paying her to buy them (she was saving more than the cost of the treats on clearance), but why not donate them to an animal shelter or something? They aren't doing anyone any good by setting in her pantry, except being a trophy of look what I can do. I hadn't heard about the fraud, but I'm not surprised. If you read the fine print on the coupons you can see where they are breaking a lot of rules.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I dont use coupons for anything I wont use. I also wont put hours and hours into it. I simply dont have the time. It seems a little OCD to me to see some of the women on the show. I also would never feed my child a cereal they probably would not eat lol. I mean sure buy it, feed it to them, but will they actually finish it? If not its a waste of food to me.

Answer by gemgem at 3:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• NP is SSSOOO correct.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I do use coupons, but I use them the way they were meant to be used. On my two week grocery shop of $300 to $400, I usually save $20-$30 using coupons and my state doesn't have double coupons any time. I take about an hour a week to gather coupons, because to me that's like doing an hour of work for $20, well worth it. But I only use the coupons for items I use anyway, and I can't see buying something I will never use just because it's free or cheap in the end. Also most coupons say they are not to be used with any other coupon for that same item, so my grocery store a lot of the time the coupons won't scan if its a different coupon but for the same item. So yes I understand why they are getting in trouble for fraud, its like cheating the system.
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The only person on the show I found interesting was the man who was sending 1000 care packages to our troops. Those people have an illness imo. I mean 60 hours a week, dumpster diving, and stealing newspapers - they need therapy.

SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 3:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The only person on the show I found interesting was the man who was sending 1000 care packages to our troops.

Don't worry - he only does that for the tax credit and the publicity. The vast majority of stuff he buys he resells at swap meets or overseas on EBay for somewhere between what he paid and what retail is. He gets to claim the full value of the stuff he donated, not what he paid, so he made money doing that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i havent seen the show, but i dont quite understand it either. i use coupons but only for stuff i need, i mean why buy 40 boxes of toilet paper just to have to find somewhere to stick it? the problem i run into is there are no coupons for the bulk of what i buy (meats and fresh produce) so i just get sales and thats all (but if anyone has any tips on how to buy that stuff a little cheaper please tell me :)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Tiffanyv123: For meats, I wait til albertsons or safeway has their buy one get one free sales and i stock up then. Produce is usually cheapest at farmers markets. I buy only fresh or frozen produce since canned veggies and fruits are not nearly as healthy as fresh/frozen too.
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2011