Gardening for beginners

I want to learn how to garden and grow things like fruits and vegetables. But my problem is I know absolutely nothing about it.
What books would be the best for me to learn how to do this?

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 3:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Go to a local nursery and ask them for help, they'll know your region and what works best
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:10 PM on May. 10, 2011

• There's really no need to buy a book if you have the internet. It is tedious if you plan to do it correctly though. Look up the fruits and veggies that grow well in your area to start with and then you'll have a list of items that you can grow. Next look up what plants well with each other (for example you wouldn't want to plant tomatoes and carrots next to each other) Also make sure you use good soil and research how much fertilizer you need for the different things your planting. Look up a thing called compost tea to spray on your plants. Good luck. It's really very easy once you've gotten all the information you need.
    mrz411

Answer by mrz411 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Ummm, for the record, carrots love to be planted next to tomatoes - they make excellent companion plants. There's actually a book titled "Carrots Love Tomatoes" & it's all about companion planting & how planting certain things together can help them each grow better or repel unwanted insects, etc. It's a must have book for any serious gardener.

To the OP, the Mother Earth News website (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening.aspx) has excellent organic gardening information w/everything you need to know. If you really want a book, I highly recommend "The Vegetable Gardeners Bible" by Edward C. Smith and "The Garden Primer" by Barbara Damrosch. You can also check out books through your local library and ask at a local nursery which plants will grow best in your growing zone.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'd suggest checking out gardenweb.com and plantswap.net- they have some awesome forums, and TONS of info. HTH :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Thank you ladies!
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Honestly, just start with a few you like. Then google that plant. Once you get a foundation it is easier.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would go to the library and ask for help. You could also join one of the garden clubs on Cafemom. There are a lot of them and I am sure you could find one that is a good fit for you and is active. Good luck!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• See if your library has "The reader's Digest book of gardening" I think that was the name. I had it years ago and loved it.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Check out the square foot gardening book!!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:05 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Go to Lowes they h elped me out ALOT
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:07 PM on May. 3, 2011