What age to start preschool?

My dd will be 3 in August and doesn't have much interaction with other kids her age.

zradiogirl

Asked by zradiogirl at 3:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get her involved in summer activities. Sign up for stuff through your city. Take her to the park on days its super busy and let her interact with children then. Go to places that have play gyms like here in Ohio there's a place in the mall that has big things that are in the shape of outerspace stuff and there's golfing places that have play gyms with ball pits & big tubes for the kids to play on. Doing that kinda stuff with help her. I didnt' start my son in preschool til he was 4. Good Luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• depends on the state... SOME PREK- 3. SOME PREK- 4 is offered call around to some day cares and ask.. some have programs to (cash) or see if they have AHEAD START PROGRAM facility by the state.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 3:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I'm going to assume she's not in daycare? I would start her this fall in preschool... most kids don't need to go to preschool for 3 years.... I started my daughter in preschool at 2 1/2 because she was such a "mommy's girl." My son didn't start until he was 3. I agree w/ the first poster that getting her involved in as much as possible will help her socially for sure! Research your preschool options out as well. Some are more "play' based, and some are more academic based. You will know what is right for your family when you start researching and looking at your options! Good luck~
    ljbaudoin

Answer by ljbaudoin at 3:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Preschool is ideally started at age 3. My kids start this year. My DD is 2 and my DS is 3. DD starts preschool in august for 2year ols 2 days a week for 1 hour each day. It is strictly to get her used to interacting with other children and used to being away from me. DS starts preschool for 3 year olds 2 days a week for 3 hours a day. Next year DD will go 3 days/ week 3hrs/day & DS will go 5 days/week 3hrs day. The following year DS starts Kindergarten 5days/week 6 hrs/day and DD will do PreK 5days/ 3hrs. I think it all depends on your child but for my kids I think this will be the best schedule. Im trying to slowly progress them to more time spent in school so it doesnt come as huge shock one year. GL with yours!
    ConcernedMomma2

Answer by ConcernedMomma2 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My older two were 4 when they started and my younger two will be also.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• As soon as you can. As soon as my youngest will be able to go to preschool I will be signing him up.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The right time is probably different at different ages but I personally have my three year old in preschool 3 days a week. He is an only child and this is the age most kids start actually get the concept of playing together, learn to share and so forth. If you are asking this question something in your instinct must be thinking its about time and Mommy clocks and instincts are usually the best answer.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Keep your baby at home with you as long as possible.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 4:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2011