Has anyone ever moved a house?

A bit of info: Our house is way too tiny. Like...seriously...imagine an economy apartment and our place is slightly smaller than that. However, it is new and we make it work...but if we had another kid we'd be totally screwed.

In this market (or...possibly any market) our house will likely not sell, or will sell for what was paid to build the place. (It seems the hubs and family didn't quite think the whole thing through when building it... *sigh*)

We were going to add on, but were told that in this town... we likely would not make our money back when we tried to sell because it's not a completely desirable location with a much better town with lots and lots of real estate for sale at reasonable prices just 20 minutes down the road.

Soooo... we are now considering buying land elsewhere, setting up the new foundations, and then hiring professional house movers to take our house to a better area so we can add on and then keep living it or sell it later. Has anyone done this? What is involved with the process? I found one company closeby that does it, but in order to tell me anything he wanted to come look at the house, and that seems like a waste of his time since we can't do it like...TODAY.

Any info is appreciated, although I know this concept isn't very common.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I know that it can be done and I have seen it a few times. I would think it is going to be pretty expensive to do, but it still may be cheaper than starting over from scratch. You will just have to check laws and regulations and prices, of course.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If it's a smaller house it might not be too bad. I did this with a larger house, and it had to be cut in half and moved in two pieces. It was pretty expensive, though not nearly as expensive as buying a new house. It took a lot of work to put the house back together and some things were never quite right after the move. My parents also had two houses moved and connected when I was a kid. One house was my great-grandparent's house, and it was pretty much just gutted and added on to the other house. It also took a lot of work, but in the end was cheaper than building a new house.

I would tell the the movers you called that you are just looking for an estimate and aren't prepared to do anything right away. I expect they'd come take a look and give you an estimate. They really would need to see your house to see if there is anything unusual that might make it more difficult.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Our house is a basic rectangle and that's it. One floor...and it's the size of a large garage. LOL. If there was ever an easy house to move, it's this one. I guess the biggest factor would be how far away we'd end up with land and any special issues or restrictions needed to move it through certain areas... But good to see someone who has done it. If it was cheaper than building again even with a complicated move like that one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2011