Multiple kids

if u have more then one kid have you ever felt like you pay more attention to one then the other??? i feel bad like i do. i mean i play with them both and spend every waking moment i can with my kids but i feel because of the age difference its hard to do more with 8 year old then the 18month old.. i feel bad everytime i go to do something with big brother the baby crys because he wants me then when i try to get all 3 of us to play something together it turns out to be something my oldest is to old to enjoy then he gets upset.

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes.... Because I am a SAHM, I'm with my 10 month old all day and my other 3 are in school. Other than that I try to spend equal amounts of time with each...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I spend more time with my youngest because she is home from school two days out of the week while the others are in school. Other than that it's pretty equally divided. I do feel bad that I don't get a lot of 'one on one' time with anyone. It is usually me with the three of them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• YES! I was just thinking this (again) the other day. My poor 4 year old...because she is older and self sufficient (to a degree...for a 4 yo) I feel like I am spending most of my time attending to the baby (just turned 1) and her needs.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No, but I only had 2 so it was easy.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No I've never felt that way. Each gets what they need as they need it. When the older two were teens and needed to talk about something it wasn't that hard with the little ones. I could still sit and BF while talking to them. Most times they knew that, this was a good time talk as I was relaxed and could give my full attention to them. Also when one of the older ones needed me the other older one would take care of the little ones and vice versa. They did this because they knew that that other would do the same for them.There will always be times when one child needs more attention then the others you take each day as it comes. Also there different bed times for the kids. So you spend time with the little ones story and prayers then you spend time with the older ones.
    daps

Answer by daps at 1:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Not really...I mean I guess the little one needs to learn some independent play skills...these will come in time. My kids were born in 1986,1991,1994,2005 and 2006so there are major age gaps. I just never experienced this. You can't be all things to everyone all the time. I would just make sure each is getting quality time and you will be ok.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• yes i have two childern girl 5 years & boy three years i feel same why about my girl cause 3 year old has health problems fever-seziers & so i let big sister pick out what she waunts to do & also i aloud her to help with taking care of my son....figure out something that only u & your 8 year old can do then play silly games with baby
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• thats how i feelmy 8year odl is in school so i get all day one on one with the 18month old but never really get one on one time with the oldest
    kimsmith22

Comment by kimsmith22 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2011