Mother In Law Mothers Day

My Mother In law lives with me and my husband. (hooray-__-) and every time a holiday passes she has a fit if he doesn't acknowledge her. Christmas he bought our son a bunch of gifts and what not and bought me a new purse that was pretty pricey-she had a fit. Her birthday came around in January, she'd gotten mad with him and left for the week. His aunt tried to convince him to throw her birthday party but he refused because he goes to work at 1am and that would run into his sleep time. My son went to my Uncle's bday party which was the day after her birthday, so when she returned home the following weekend, she automatically assumed it was my birthday. She cursed him about for buying me balloons and not buying her any and she went on a full out spat. She called her sisters and told them I'd turned her son against her and they got into a big argument-over balloons. My birthday just past the other day (3 months later lol) and now with mothers day coming up, I'm worried. She's been playing nice, the past 2 days in expectancy of something spectacular I guess, even though we're paying her rent and she pays nothing to live here, and I'm considering telling him to get me nothing. I don't feel like the big blown out arguments with the name calling over a box of chocolates. She's very immature and every little things makes her mad, even when I fix dinner. Should I tell him to skip mom's day for me to avoid any craziness?

thelovelymzbre

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 4:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• If I were you, what I would ask him for for mother's day is to get his mother her own apartment so you don't have to put up with that kind of childishness.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 4:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Okay, all (half) joking aside, what I would do is ask him just to help your child make you a gift, and let him do whatever he thinks is appropriate for his own mother. You get a gift from your child, she gets a gift from her child and she really can't complain that way (not that she ever should in the first place).
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 4:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• She obviously wants attention and no gifts means no attention. I think not celebrating would be another hissy. For peace and quiet I would suggest getting her something, perhaps balloons--lol a sappy card (whether he reads it when its purchased who cares). Have your son make her a "special picture" and just be done with it. I hate people who expect presents but sometimes you do what you need to do to get by. Perhaps a gift certificate for an all expense paid day out (so you can be rid of her)
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Why should you skip mothers day in your own house.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Maybe I"m missing something here but what's wrong with your dh, wishing his mother a happy birthday or buying her a small gift to acknowledge her existence in his life? You make it seem hilarious that he's hurting his mother's feelings. Remember one day you're children will grow up to be adults, would you like for them to ignore your birthday or not to acknowledge Mother's Day for you?
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Maybe while she was growing up she never had the love you guys are showing for one another, since it is Mothers day just get her a little something along with yours even if it's the same thing and then at night or whenever you and your dh are alone he'll give you your special gift ;) Treat her like you would like to be treated like I said maybe she has never had the love that you have. She is letting you stay with for the time being soon you will be out it's not forever. GL Hang in there!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Well, you can do something flamboyant for her on Mothers Day,
    and your gift may be in private, like a romantic dinner or a special
    time out, that she'll never find out !
    EscapeGirl

Answer by EscapeGirl at 10:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• lolz she stays with me and my fiance we do not stay with her. And I will not be buying her anything as she has treated me like trash for the past 3 or 4 months. I'm giving advice to my fiance to avoid his head getting chewed off.
    thelovelymzbre

Comment by thelovelymzbre (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• @moms2mybabes No one said it was funny he missed her birthday it;s childish she goes on rants when she doesn't get the attention she wants and before her birthday even came, she acted irate and left I didnt expect him to chase her down and say happy birthday when she'd called him a stupid M'fer before she disowned him and left. He has the type of relationship with his mother he chooses to have when they argue I stay out of it, when they talk, I stay out of it. If I had such a problem with her and just wanted to see her miserable I would have let her live in her car and never told him he should let her move in.

Take the time and read thoroughly before you get all uptight.
    thelovelymzbre

Comment by thelovelymzbre (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2011