4 month old won't fall asleep without sucking.. Help!

I cant get my baby to fall asleep for her naps or for bedtime without sucking on my pinky. I got into the habit by mistake and now she either has to nurse or suck on my pinky to fall asleep. She wont take pacifiers either. Believe me, i've tried! Any advice or mothers who are going through this?

lovemylife88

Asked by lovemylife88 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried the Mam pacis? They're the only ones my daughter would take.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 4:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Just take it away the pinky away and just nurse her, eventually she will forget about your pinky.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Trust me I understand. I had to find just the right thing to work on my son. stuff animals with arms/hands, He sucks on those, or the ears. But make sure its not super fluffy and nothing will come off of it.
    If that doesnt work, you just need to find something that she likes to suck/chew on. Pacifiers wont work on my son most of the time, so I had to search a bit.
    Cherrycatt

Answer by Cherrycatt at 4:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would just let her nurse instead of sucking on the finger..you don't want her to start that habit either...messes the teeth up and fingers are filthy anyway..just nurse her to sleep..she's still so little. My DD did the same thing. they grow out of it, but the finger might become a habit. So if you can pick which one, then nurse.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Another vote for just nurse her to sleep and stop offering the pinky! It is totally normal for baby to nurse to sleep at this age, all 3 of my kids did. It is a great tool to be able to nurse baby to sleep! Don't worry, she'll go to sleep w/o nursing when she gets older. They all do!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I agree the pinky is not a great long term solution and if she won't take a pacifier at this point forget it. Not sure about nursing to sleep, that may create just another sucking attachment too. If you can get her to fall asleep all on her own she will be better at waking during the night and falling back asleep with out your help, which will make you much happier in the long run. Try introducing a lovey! Maybe one that has knotted ends to suck on? I had a mom ask me how to introduce one this week on my website, take a look! Http://askananny.com
    Good luck!
    Stef (the nanny from askananny.com)
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 11:13 PM on May. 2, 2011