I have an appointment tomorrow, there checking my stomach since its been hurting, what should I expect?

for example will the dr. tell me to pick up my blouse infront of him or her? Or will they do me a sonogram? or x-rays, or will they just poke me with there fingers? I'm not sure what it is but when I get in a sit-up position you see a weird mountain in the middle of my tummy like it might be a hernia or something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Health

• They will unlikely conduct any type of sono tomorrow. Typically, that is something that they have to order and you'll go elsewhere to have it done. They may do that or an MRI. They'll ask you what your symptoms have been, they will ask you to lift your shirt so they can feel your abdomen. They may even do a quick rectal exam, so be prepared for that.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 10:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• oohh dont scare me "have2travel"
    why rectal? thats different from the stomach isnt it?
    Anonymous

• Are you serious? Of course they're going to have to actually look at your abdomin. They will most likely ask you to undress and put on a cover up. Most likely it will be a quick examine and further testing will be set up if they feel it is necessary

A rectal exam is not completely out of the question. Just google Rectal exam for stomach pain and you'll see a number of reasons why that could be a possible exam method.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I feel ur pain.... I dont like to go to the doctors ever.... I went when I was in pain, my side hurt. They made sure is wasnt a UTI then checked for kidney stones, I had a mri. Then, a ultra sound of my belly and then a vaginal ultra sound/ had to also have a cath inserted. Not fun..... but turns out i have IBM.... Go figure. NObody touched my butt though. lol Thank goodness!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I just recently went to the ER for abdominal pain and I had to get a rectal exam. They will do it because they will want to make sure you don't have any traces of blood in your stool. They like to rule out a bleed first. They will do blood work as well. They will push on your belly all over to see where it actually hurts. Sometimes you can get radiating pain. Meaning, you think it's your stomach but it's really your apendix or something like that. It won't be too bad. Don't worry.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 7:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Sorry to scare you about the rectal. I am one of many who has had to have them. Just thought that I would warn you because it's not something that you want to be surprised with. Honestly, the doctor doesn't enjoy doing it any more than you, so they are very quick. The anticipation is much worse than having it done. The above posters gave good reasons why a rectal exam may be necessary.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 9:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2008