B/F... adult content

So I breastfeed my son. He is going on 3 months may 1st. It seems like he isn't getting enough breast milk cause he is easting almost every hour. He's constantly sucking on his hands and my fingers. Is there anyway I can make my milk supply more filling for him or can I start giving him other things to help fill him up?

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a problem with that for a while too. but really just because he is sucking on his hands doesnt mean he is hungry nessesarily. My son is teething, and also just likes to do it, its comforting. The most I can say, is make sure to keep feeding like you are, but encourage him to relatch if he lets go, or switch sides, and you can go back and forth.
    If you are still having issues I know there are some tea's you can look up that help as well.
    Lastly you can always contact http://www.llli.org/
    They can help with anything breastfeeding wise, they will even go to your house to help. :)
    Cherrycatt

Answer by Cherrycatt at 4:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• He is cluster feeding to help you increase your supply. There is a big growth spurt around 3 months. Dd went through this too. It is exhausting but you can do it!! Baby shouldn't need any supplementation:) are you part of a bfing group on here? They can give a lot of good advice and encouragement.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 4:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• He can also be teething, so that can be why he is always sucking and putting his hands in his mouth. Remember thre more they suck the more you produce milk especially during their growth spurt.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• i have no idea the answer for this, this is simply a suggestion.... maybe he needs a passy? He could just like the comforting feeling of sucking. If he is gaining the weight he is supposed to he may just like the act. Is he fussy too or just wanting to suck? I don't think you can make your supply more filling. Your body adjust automatically to what he needs I think, unless there is a problem with your milk but they can usually come to that conclusion at the pediatrician. AGAIN this is just a regular ladies opinion lol
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 4:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Growth spurt. Keep doing what you're doing. If he wetting/dirtying less than 6-8 diapers a day, he's not getting enough. Just my opinion.
    SapphireMomma

Answer by SapphireMomma at 4:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I drank almond milk and added flaxseed meal to my diet, which increased my supply. If he's cluster feeding your supply should respond to that too.

Drink water like every glass is your last. Eat well.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 4:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Maybe it's a growth spurt? If he's gaining at least 5oz a week I wouldn't worry. I EBF my son, but pump for another baby so I use Fenugreek. I take 4caps3xpd but you can take 4caps4xpd. You can find Fenugreek at the Vitamin Shoppe. I buy the 610mg ones. God Bless charmed18's sopply, Amen ;)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 5:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Sounds like he may be going through a growth spurt. Your milk should increase with his increased nursing.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• At 3 months old, don't give him anything else but BM....he's way too young...your milk will adjust to his needs. Just feed him when he's hungry and you will supply what you need :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Its normal..just keep offering to eat on demand.They go through periods where it seems like they are eating more often, then it seems like they are eating less often..they always like to keep us guessing,mama lol. As long as baby is growing and there are wet diapers..everything is fine.Baby really is too young to offer anythign but Breastmilk/formula at this age. If youre really still concerned and think something may be going on, make an appointment with your doctor..or even contact a lactation consultant. Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2011