Is there anyone else that thinks breastfeeding is just plain gross besides me?

I'm not trying to start drama, but honestly, the idea just grosses me out. It's not even that I think it's a sexual thing, because that's not it. I just find it gross. Not sure why. I thought about breastfeeding with the first child, but when everyone started coming in my room and messing with my breasts and my baby, I became extremely unsettled. So, I'm curious, without the drama, if anyone else truly feels this way too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• My sister has always said she thinks its distgusting. I can also tell that my breastfeeding my child seriously bothers some people in my family,lol.I just don't do it in front of people, their uncomfortableness with it makes me feel awkward.
    But yeah..I did feel really uncomfortable with my first son and the lactation consultant came in my room at the hospital and just grabbed my boob and tried putting my nipple in the babies mouth..THAT was disturbing,lol.
    I don't find it disgusting at all. It is natural. We are made to feed our children...we have breasts that produce milk for a reason.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No, I think they traumatized you by touching your breast nobody touched my breasts besides me.

booger14

Answer by booger14 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• One of my friends was like that. I dont think its gross I think its such an amazing thing. I just wish I was able to do it as long as some mother were able to.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• anon, humans are still animals. 

No I don't think its gross, but OP why were they touching you? And why didn't you stop them? I agree with the PP that said they traumatized you. You had every right to stop what they were doing.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I think it's beautiful. It is really healthy for the child.. and adds benefits for you such as getting a smaller belly faster than a woman who chose not to breastfeed.. Its wonderful bonding time with your child. You are your babies source of nutrition.. I don't see how that's gross. (not bashing)
    ashlee03

Answer by ashlee03 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Nope..i agree with booger
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Not bashing, can you explain a little more clearly why it grosses you out. I breastfeed and absolutely enjoy it, would be interesting to hear why you don't like it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I agree with PPs that they traumatized you. They shouldn't have touched your or your baby without your consent! To the PP who said it reminds her of animals--humans are animals.

I did feel like a cow when I was trying to use a breastpump, which is why I didn't pump as often as I should have.

With 1st DD, I BF til she was 4mos, but I'd been supplementing since she was 2wks. It got to the point where pumping at work was impossible and bottles were easier on everyone. And at 4mo she started baby foods.

With 2nd DD, I was BF only til 4mos when she was hospitalized. Hospital put her on exclusive formula diet. My milk dried up. I could have pumped while she was on the diet and saved it, but with bottle feeding every two hours, graduate schoolwork, and another kid to care for, it lost priority.

I'm glad we have so many ways to nourish our babies in this modern age. :)
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 4:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My mom does. She cringes whenever I start to do it at her house. So I try to make sure baby is well fed before a visit.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• its a natural thing. Its not like mom takes her full shirt off and just slaps a baby on her boob while sitting freely open to the world. they do cover up and the nipple should but covered by the child. So not sure what part gross' u out.

I think its gross to see daisy - dukes being worn at all ages. I know I dont wanna see it hanging out with the possiblity of a coochy shot but thats just me. LOL
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 4:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2011