S/O of the Cairo question

When a town is bankrupt, deserted and literally falling apart, with the majority of its buildings abandoned, and the majority of it's population moved on to other places where they can find jobs, how long should the state and federal government keep it on life support? When the cost of the few remaining properties left with residents is less than the cost of keeping it going, is it worth it to keep bleeding money into it, or would it be better to buy out whoever is left before the property values plummet any further than they already have and raze it to see if it can be used another way?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG NotPanicking, that's the most historic town in Illinois. It absolutely breaks my heart that it has gone down the toilet like it has. If I could buy that town myself and fix it up, I soooo would! I think it's better for the farmland to be destroyed on the Missouri side than the town. Sorry...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Okay, sorry.. I see what you are saying. But, I still would buy the darn town if I could. Do you know what kind of artifacts are in the basement of the library?

History is a weakness for me...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Another thing, most of the residents who are keeping the town alive are very much wealthy folk. They are the ones still living in the mansions there. Sigh....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• NP- so should we plow over or flood every,single, impoverished sh*thole in America? Who gets to decide? The places with the most people? Be very careful-good Lord, there's entire states.......

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• NP- so should we plow over or flood every,single, impoverished sh*thole in America?

I asked how long. I didn't say go flatten the state of Michigan. Didn't think it was that complicated a question.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Okay, you're giving me palpitations... I'm just going to buy it....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

That's another factor to consider - how many artifacts are sitting in basements, rotting and molding, because they don't have the means to keep them properly preserved (or even know they're there, for that matter). All those abandoned buildings deserted since the 80's. How much has already been stolen in the night?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Well NP, like I said in the other thread. Perhaps, it would be better to relocate the residents, but it has to be handled equitably and compassionately. No matter what, it will cost $$...for those who are operating from a purely fiscal POV-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No, quite the contrary, the library is very well taken care of, as are the Court House, the Police Dept., the Fire Dept., etc. Not all the building in Cairo are falling apart. Like I said, in reality, there are quite a few wealthy folks still there. The history is so deep there. It's a very sad town in deed due to the reasons why the down town business area went out. But, again, that's Cairo's history.

tear, tear...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• The civil buildings are maintained. I'm talking about the things that were in all the other buildings and homes that have been abandoned. Those are the workplaces and homes of the people who made that history - the good and the more recent bad, I doubt they dropped all their personal belongings off at the library on the way out of town.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2011