When to seek speech therapy for a 2.5 year old?

My son is 2.5 years old. He is the youngest child. When he was 18 months old our list of words he can say was pretty short and his doctor chalked it off to having an older sister that talks for him. He started daycare in october and he started talking much more, but sometimes it is still hard to understand him. I want him to be assessed, but my husband doesn't think it's neccessary. For example...when he says "I am thirsty" I confuse it with "Where is daddy" or "I am dirty." That is only 1 example out of many. Should I get him checked?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 4:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you have concerns it wouldn't hurt to have him assesses. what's the worst that could happen? Your concerns could be confirmed or they could tell you he's just fine.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Neither of my boys spoke UNTIL they were 2 1/2- now they are extremely articulate, with ridiculously vast vocabularies. Each child develops at their own rate.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Where i live we have a program called Early Childhood Intervention that will come in and assess the child. Here they only work with them till age three. But if the child qualifies they come to your home and work with the child. Our doctor referred us but you can also do it without a referral. They will coneout and evaluate the child to see if they qualify for the propgram. They are doing our assessment on May 10 and informed me that since her birthday is in July they may only be able to work with her 2 times at the most, so i have her starting a local preschool/dayschool from 8-12 a few days a week to see if the interaction with other kids will help her. Look up and see if your state has any thing like that.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 5:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If it would make you feel better, totally get him checked. But, at his age its so normal. Most kids aren't even talking much or putting together complete sentences. He is probably still just figuring out how speaking feels inside his mouth, on his tongue etc. Alot of times, kids are hard to understand! He sounds like a normal developing 2.5 year old to me!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• If you feel that you should get him checked, you should do it now. If there IS a speech problem, the sooner they catch it, the better. I'm glad some of the moms are saying that their children were a little "late" but are now normal, but I have a different perspective. Around the time of my daughter's 2nd birthday, my sister and I were discussing my daughter's speech, and that it seemed like an unusually high amount of words were not being pronounced correctly. It nagged at me (even though part of me thought it was normal toddler talk), so I had an evaluation with a speech pathologist, and there was, in fact, a problem. She had a year of therapy and by the time we were done, she was caught up and on track. I'm so glad I didn't allow it to go on and chance her getting further behind. Perhaps your child is totally normal--but if not, an intervention now would probably be best. And either way, it will set your mind at ease. GL!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• I would definitely call early intervention in your area and get an evaluation. He may catch up on his own in time, but if there is a delay it's much better to address it and get him caught up earlier rather than later! And through early intervention, the evaluation and the speech therapy is free!

Answer by missanc at 9:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• It wouldn't hurt. My son has just entered a program after being evaluated - he's 23 months old. I was told that 1 year now can equal 10 years of education to catch up later. I find these helpful and his speech therapist recommended some of these apps to improve and practice with speech (recognizing words, etc): speech therapy ipad apps

subuyoung

Answer by subuyoung at 11:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My son is 21 months and I feel the same way. I am considering taking him to the doctor to get checked out within the next week. It doesn't hurt to get confirmation on wether or not he is fine but it will put your heart at ease. GL
    starlit_kissez

Answer by starlit_kissez at 1:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2011